Hot Rod Forum banner

Rochester from rockauto.com?

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  brian0605 
#1 ·
Hello, my rochester is after 35 years on his end (also after a revision) so I'm looking for a replacement.
My car is a 1970 olds 98 coupe with a (i believe) 1974 455 cid engine.
I saw this site:
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1215650,parttype,5904

It seems rather cheap (little bit important: shipping and tax to the netherlands is nearly $ 90,- :mad: )
I don't have a racecar so the same carb is ok.
Does anyone know this site and are they ok? Or can i better buy a holley or edelbrock on the summit site?
Ik hope you have some answers for me.

thanks
frank

#2 ·
I can't give you any advice regarding the carb, but as far as RockAuto goes I order from them around once a month and have always gotten what I ordered in a timely manner for good prices. The one time they discontinued a product I had ordered I received a personal phone call the next day to inform me. If you decide to order from them they always send out 5% off codes in emails - check out fatwallet.com for a code and if you can't find it I'll dig up one of my old emails from them!

#4 ·
i dont think so, a revision is allready done last summer, but the pump plunger (i think thats the name for it) is still leaking. I don't know if it can repared, because it is the housing and not the pump.
Does anyone know something about this?

thanks for respond
frank

#6 ·
Sounds bad. If you decide to get another carb, try to find one from the same year, or at least close, I'd guess maybe '68-'72, with a 455. That should get you close, but if it still doesn't run quite right, you might be able to transfer the old metering components into the new one.

Be sure the new carb's choke setup (integral or divorced, heat or electric) is similar to your old one.

#7 ·
tnx Mark,
because sending back is no option for me.

Maybe i make it myself easier when i choose a carb by Holley,
they also make a sort of rebuilt rochesters. Otherwise another economic carb that fits my standard olds 455 engine. And no bhp setup, gas is in Holland $ 1.90 :drunk: a liter.
Any suggestions?

frank

#8 ·
franny said:
Hello, my rochester is after 35 years on his end (also after a revision) so I'm looking for a replacement.
My car is a 1970 olds 98 coupe with a (i believe) 1974 455 cid engine.
I saw this site:
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1215650,parttype,5904

It seems rather cheap (little bit important: shipping and tax to the netherlands is nearly $ 90,- :mad: )
I don't have a racecar so the same carb is ok.
Does anyone know this site and are they ok? Or can i better buy a holley or edelbrock on the summit site?
Ik hope you have some answers for me.

thanks
frank
To answer your original question yes RockAuto is a good outfit to buy from.I bought a radiator from them and have had no problems with it. about 100$ cheaper even with shipping. I often use there site to look up parts myself so I have the part number before going to the local part store. If you decide to buy from summit I would go for the edelbrock (carter style). To me they are easier to adjust,you can change the metering rods with it on the car and it will get better mileage than the Holley. The Holley is a good carb just more suited to performance and more difficult to tune. Good luck Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.