Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Rock chips in new paint
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2013, 10:45 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
It'll be a lot of work but you'll have to strip it to the metal...Your problem isnt so much with the cheap paint but with the primer since the chips go all the way down to the metal...
If you want it nice and want it to last I would strip it and use an epoxy primer over the metal....take the time to order some insted of this parts store crap...epoxy primers arent all the same either SPI epoxy is the most chip resistant ,user friendly epoxy I've ever used and I've been using it exclusivly for well over five years...however using it over your old paint and primer wont help, the car has to be stripped to the bare metal....
Good call Mike....if you've got rust in the rock chipped area the chips are not only taking off the paint you recently applied, it's taking off the paint underneath and going to the bare metal. The only remedy as Mike mentioned is to strip the car. I would also recommend SPI Epoxy as a substrate before applying any color coat. SPI is user friendly, cost effective and affords great rust protection.

The old adage, "you get what you pay for", does apply here as well, buying your paint from the unprofessional at the same place you buy your spark plugs is like getting tune up advice from your grocer. Spend the time to find a paint jobber that can guide you in the right direction. It may cost a little more but, how much money did you save by buying the paint that's chipping off your car now.

Ray