RockAuto Parts problem - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2011, 08:39 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

RockAuto Parts problem

So I ordered this carrier bearing from Rock Auto Parts (HB206FF) and they sent two 3/8 bolts with it. The problem is, I have 2 different size holes in the bottom of the carrier bearing. Top hole 3/8 and bottom hole 7/16 I think and I have NO idea what thread size. I sent them a email, but I bet I will have to pay shipping back and forth. Anyone else have a problem like this on a carrier bearing? Be careful when ordering from Rock Auto Parts.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2011, 09:19 AM

Last photo:

Wish you well in resolving your problem! Hopefully just a minor "OOPS!".

I have had nothing but sooooper service and good luck in ordering from Rock Auto over the years.

Com'on Rock Auto guys - Do the right thing!!

GOOD LUCK!!

Tom
Old 06-26-2011, 10:00 AM

Last photo:

Ordered many parts before from RockAuto and had no problems. Just need to find right tread size for the larger hole. Maybe RockAuto can tell me.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:13 AM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:

Both of those should be 7/16-14 threads.
Have no idea why a 3/8 hole was used in just one position.

You could go ahead and use the 3/8 bolt with a heavy flat washer along with the 7/16-----should not hurt anything.

About the only stress the carrier sees is the back & forth movement of the bearing in the rubber insulator as the rear axle goes about it's up & down movement.

No matter what you do to fix this (replace or modify) before you fully tighten the carrier to the frame, make sure that the car is supported at the rear axle and not the body.
The carrier needs to be tightened with the rear end at ride height or you will eventually pull the bearing out of the carrier.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:46 AM

Last photo:

Bryan59EC's
Thanks for info on 7/16-14 threaded bolt. I might just go get a 7/16-14 threaded bolt, that would be a lot cheaper than paying for shipping. I will have to wait and see what they want to do.(RockAuto)
Old 06-26-2011, 11:07 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by impalaman63

So I ordered this carrier bearing from Rock Auto Parts (HB206FF) and they sent two 3/8 bolts with it. The problem is, I have 2 different size holes in the bottom of the carrier bearing. Top hole 3/8 and bottom hole 7/16 I think and I have NO idea what thread size. I sent them a email, but I bet I will have to pay shipping back and forth. Anyone else have a problem like this on a carrier bearing? Be careful when ordering from Rock Auto Parts.
In my experience Rock Auto has excellent customer service.

Chet
Old 06-26-2011, 11:41 AM

Last photo:

If this is for a C-10 Pickup, I suggest leaving the Splash shield off when reassembling the DS. If not it will just rub & burn the rubber seal up.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:42 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Rock Auto sells the parts, they do not make them.. They usually sell all 3 grades of parts. Did you buy the cheap part? I'v seen the cheaper parts have the wrong holes or threads. sometimes there still useable as in this case.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:55 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Never a problem with Rock. Good prices and shipping. The only thing I found was sometimes expensive shipping if they sourced items from different locations - but the fine print........

As far a wrong hole sizes - they don't manufacture, only resell using independent auto parts houses and computerized inventory. Some of the parts are not USA made, especially the A1 Cardone
Old 06-26-2011, 12:08 PM

Last photo:

China made part and I bought the highest price part they had listed. Just got a phone call from RockAuto today Sunday 6/26/2011 and they will ship new part. FREE SHIPPING

ROCKAUTO IS THE BEST
Old 06-26-2011, 06:08 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Just got a phone call from RockAuto today Sunday 6/26/2011 and they will ship new part. FREE SHIPPING
THAT, my fellow car guys, is how you not only keep your old customers - but also earn new ones!!

Tom
Old 06-28-2011, 02:21 PM

My first experience with Rock Auto--NOT a good one

Im glad your situation was worked out to your benefit. I ordered a fuel pump from Rock Auto yesterday around 11am. Paid the extra $51.25 for 1 day shipping, got an email from them today stating that the part just shipped today, which means I won't receive it until tomorrow which is 2 business days not 1 as I paid for. Contacted customer service to simply request a refund for the difference between 1 day & 2 day shipping rates (which is almost $30) they completely REFUSED. I even spoke with a manager, but to NO AVAIL. This was my very first purchase with Rock Auto & I am certain it will be my last. I have to admit that I was quite surprised that they were more concerned with trying to defend the "fine print" than trying to satisfy & maintain a NEW customer.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:56 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

From Rockauto's website
Q: I just placed my order. Will it ship today?
A: Please allow 24 hours for your order to process. Orders placed by noon central time usually ship the same day but we cannot guarantee that an order will ship the same day it is placed. Orders do not ship on weekends. Customer is responsible for ensuring that Fedex, UPS, and/or any other carrier used can deliver to specified shipping address.

That's the fine print you agreed to when you placed the order, it's not their fault you didn't read it.. As for adding $51 to a fuel pump. unless the pump was $50- 75 cheaper than the parts store, you likely paid more than the parts store, or equal. Also depending on your location compared to the warehouse it shipped from, it could still arrive today, especially with Fedex as the handler.

On another note. Signing up to complain about a company on this site, is frowned upon
Old 06-28-2011, 03:02 PM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

I have had nothing but good service from Rock Auto. It isn't always the best way to go but when it is, it works.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:51 PM

As I mentioned in my previous post, I placed my order before noon Central time (9:54 am CST) as required according to their shipping Q & A, so for me to think that my order would ship the same day was not unreasonable. Further, paying an additional, not $20, $30, or $40...but $51 for shipping would certainly lead "anyone" to believe that would qualify their order to become a priority & receive same day shipping. Further, I understand that nothing is guaranteed, however, having worked in the customer service industry myself for the past 29 years, the way they handled the situation, in my opinion, was unacceptable. At the end of the day, "I" am still the CUSTOMER.

In regard to the price, I would not have taken the chance of ordering the part online & paying overnight shipping costs if the price at my local parts store was even "remotely" close to the price online. And for the record, it did not arrive today..

Lastly, my initial post was a direct response to another user's advice to use caution when ordering from Rock Auto. I merely shared my own personal experience with them, which I am sure in America, we ALL still have the right to do.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.