Rocker arm play, and head casting - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2013, 10:11 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyboy1986 View Post
Man this post has me not wanting to waist more money on installing it, and to just sell the thing. So are you saying it might end up with under like 200hp and be slow as *** then blow up possibly?
I don't know why you'd think that from my post. The main question I have is: was the cam is in it was chosen by someone who has knowledge of cam selection and was the cam was installed and broken in correctly? If yes, then you'll be fine. The info I gave above was for how to start the process of picking a new cam if you were going to swap cams for some reason, and/or to judge for yourself whether the cam that's installed already is OK for your application or not.

Now I'm not a soothsayer. But I'd bet the cam is an "RV" grind, not much more than a stock cam, given the description that it was for torque, not hp. And if that's the case it'll run as good w/that cam as most anything else you might want to use, short of a roller- and don't even think about going there.

If it were me- and it has been in the past- I would forget about playing the numbers game. The engine has what it has, so to speak. The parts are on and in it and the die is cast. So unless you plan to swap parts w/o running it as-is (which I don't recommend), you need to set it up to run as good as it's capable by tuning the carb and ignition advance, then if you want a hp number, run it through the quarter mile to get a speed, then combine that w/the weight of the vehicle and calculate the hp using one of the calculators in my link "•Various calculators from Wallace Racing".

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2013, 11:30 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Ya thats what i meant if i said it wront but the rocker arms move side to side on some of them, not drasticaly but anyways i guess it is normal.
I was offered $500-$1000 depending on it's condition he said, for the motor by a guy that does dirt track racing i guess, isnt that to much for this motor?

Btw: I think im a "Thanks Whore" lol
The price depends a lot on condition. I don't know how anyone could say it's worth $1000 if he hasn't even seen it or heard it run, though.

As far as being a "thanks whore", I don't see it. I know you were kidding, but the whole "thanks" deal is sort of hollow- there's more thanks given for non technical posts than anything, so I decided a long time ago that thanks are for 'whatever', and not necessarily anything directly related to good or relevant tech advice. That said, I DO appreciate a thanks now and then as long as it's sincere. Which is how I try to give a thanks to others.
The Following User Says Thank You to cobalt327 For This Useful Post:
chevyboy1986 (07-11-2013)
Old 07-11-2013, 01:28 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks cobalt327, and i know what a rv cam is and i asked him the day i bought it if basicaly thats what it was an rv cam, and he said no it's better lol. Oh and he gave me the guys name that did rebuild and cam install and it was done at a shop and it has 25k on it now so i guess it shuldnt blow up lol.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:10 PM

Last photo:

Man there are still 2 things still bothering me, so were you saying that my compession ratio will be around 8 to 1 or however it is wrote? Also are the 487 heads on my 1976 c10 sbc350 going to be faster then with it's stock heads would have been or do they lower comprssion alot, please elaborate if you would, thanks
Old 07-12-2013, 03:33 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Man there are still 2 things still bothering me, so were you saying that my compession ratio will be around 8 to 1 or however it is wrote? Also are the 487 heads on my 1976 c10 sbc350 going to be faster then with it's stock heads would have been or do they lower comprssion alot, please elaborate if you would, thanks
Can someone please answer above? Becasue i was offered $550 garunteed cash, and i paid $475 for it and if it isnt going to make over 200hp at least, and 280lbs tq then it wouldnt be worth keeping.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:16 AM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
The original heads may have been the 487s, but in any event the original heads and the 487 heads have the same nominal chamber volume, so the CR will be identical for all 8ntents and purposes.

The compression ratio cannot be determined exactly w/the info you've given. I calculated a range of compression ratios above that encompass the probabilities. If I had to be pinned down to a WAG, I'd say your static CR is between 8:1 (spoken as "eight to one") to 8.5:1 ("eight-and-a-half to one" or "eight-point-five to one".

Compression ratio - Wikipedia
Old 07-14-2013, 01:08 PM

Last photo:

Alright well i think im going to sell it for $575 and buy a l98 with a carb setup instead of tpi, or find another motor.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.