Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Rocker contacting top of retainer on vortec heads
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 08:49 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingputz View Post
Mousefink,
I pulled a couple of valves, did some measuring, and found some discrepancy. The valve with actual CONTACT with the rocker rail measured .25" groove to tip. The valve WITHOUT contact, but very close measures .29". I don't know if the previous owner swapped some valves or ground the tip down. It looks as if some grinding was done. Tip of valve has machine marks on it. Do I file off rocker rails & install guide plates, or buy new/ longer valves?
Your valves with the .290" tips may be stock GM Vortec valves. The previous owner may have replaced some of the valves and used standard SB Chevy valves that have .250" tips.

Manley Budget Series valves have .250" tips (exhaust) and .290" tips (intake).
Manley Race Master Series valves that I used have .290" tips (intake and exhaust) and all are machined with a 45* face and a 30* back angle.

Manley Race Master Series valves cost twice as much as Ferrea 5000 Series valves. However, you must buy Ferrea 5000 Series valves for a Ford 351W with .395" tips (corrected from my previous post) . I started to buy the Ferrea 5000 Series Ford 351W valves but I did not like .395" tip length.
The Following User Says Thank You to MouseFink For This Useful Post:
flyingputz (12-31-2012)