Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Rocker contacting top of retainer on vortec heads
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 11:34 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

flyingputz,
It may make some food for thought, but I don't think it will solve your problem.
I noticed that the top of the seven degree retainer seems to be higher than the top of the seven degree locks(on the left in the pic), vrs the same dimension using the ten degree locks/retainers on the right.
However it also seems that the 10* locks are closer to the tip of the valve like the +0.050" standard locks do, so no benefit.
You might look at the locks that have the recess for lash caps(pn611,or614). They might help? I don't know if you can run them without the caps? Probably not a good idea.
Personally I would use the standard 7* locks, and machine the top of the guides down about .070", and live with the increased seat load(130lbs@1.8" vrs 146lbs@1.75" installed height). I assume your using the roller cam/lifters the springs are designed for. If you consider that the conventional springs for roller cams typically use more force to control the valvetrain(seat load and over the nose) than behives do, your not hurting the valves, lifters, or cam IMO. Also if you may consider that many people install 1.6:1 rockers which increase the load on the valvetrain similar to increased spring pressure, but use the same springs as if they were 1.5:1 rockers, and have no detrimental effects. JMHO
FWIW,
ssmonty
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	26986_10_7deg.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	286.5 KB
ID:	70217