Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Rocker contacting top of retainer on vortec heads
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013, 09:44 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingputz View Post
I was looking for that option but got no input on going that route. Too late now, new valves (intake & exhaust) are on the way. $240 later! My NEXT set of vortecs will be MUCH easier!(if I ever use 'em again!) No biggie, I'm opening up spring pockets anyway even though machinist I used said they were good to go. MY opinion differed.
Unfortunatly there is no in-expensive solution from where you're at with this engine. Probably the least complex are these lash locks which will add virtual length to the stem above the retainer but cheap they ain't. >>> Manton "Lash-Locks" <<<

I wouldn't get carried away enlarging the spring pockets on production Vortec heads. This can easily weaken the pocket edge where it locates above the port as it turns into the pocket. This often becomes a failure point opening a crack as the head gets some miles on it. If you need better springs the production Vortec is way better off with beehive springs that fit into the production spring pocket.

Bogie

Last edited by oldbogie; 01-10-2013 at 09:44 AM. Reason: your to you're