Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Rocker contacting top of retainer on vortec heads
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 03:11 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

With rocker centered over valve tip it contacts lock, but if rocker is slid across tip 'til the rail stops its lateral movement the opposite rail WILL contact the retainer. I've got Comp #787 7* retainers for the beehive springs. I trimmed down the tops of a set of the +.050 locks to see if I could skate by, but no go. MOST of the locks are FLUSH with the retainer. On the few where the lock actually sat higher than the retainer this theoretically might have worked. However, trimming ANY material away from such critical components is probably not a good idea. I'd rather spend a bit more money and play it safe than gamble catastophic failure. My initial objective was to upgrade these heads without doing ANY machining (other than screw in studs). Easier said than done! There are a LOT of misleading articles out there on vortec head upgrades which supposedly require no machine work.