Rocker Geometry Question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2012, 08:04 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Rocker Geometry Question

I know much has been made here about the way to properly set up rocker geometry; i.e. smallest pattern vs. centered on the tip. My brain is firmly in the "smallest pattern" camp.

My question is, since Comp Cams continues to suggest the "centered" method as correct (showing right now on their website ), what exactly does that say about their cam patterns? Were they designed and tested using the "centered" geometry? If so, what effect will using the "smallest area" method have? Will "doing it right" actually cost performance? (I would think it would be very small, but if we're pursuing perfect geometry, still significant.)

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2012, 08:42 PM

K the center of the valve is where the tip of the rocker needs to ride this is so the rocker does not knock the keeper and retainers plum off the top of the head and destroy the motor the movement of the tip of the rocker will change over the geometric path as far as the path of the lifter on the cam it should ride as close to the center of the lobe for wear purposes the reason you want the tip of the rocker in the center of the valve at full lift is to optimize the lift insuring the valve opens all the way.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:36 PM

Last photo:

Ripper, that is not what I asked at all.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:19 PM

ok to make it easier for you perfect geometry is very important when it comes to performance and as far as the smallest area this is effected by the lift and duration so it will have a big effect
Old 08-07-2012, 01:28 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Moving to engine section..

Sam
Old 08-07-2012, 02:00 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
I know much has been made here about the way to properly set up rocker geometry; i.e. smallest pattern vs. centered on the tip. My brain is firmly in the "smallest pattern" camp.

My question is, since Comp Cams continues to suggest the "centered" method as correct (showing right now on their website ), what exactly does that say about their cam patterns? Were they designed and tested using the "centered" geometry? If so, what effect will using the "smallest area" method have? Will "doing it right" actually cost performance? (I would think it would be very small, but if we're pursuing perfect geometry, still significant.)
My thoughts are there will be very little- if any- actual measurable difference in power whether the geometry is set by Comp's instructons or by the narrowest pattern regardless of position.

In extreme cases there might be valve tip or rocker roller/tip wear issues if the narrowest pattern was located on the very edge of the tip of the valve. And obviously there can be no run-off allowed or there WILL be excessive wear or worse. But in my experience, in the vast majority of cases there's going to be a push rod length/rocker stud length/valve stem length and rocker arm type or design that will allow a fairly (or completely) centered, narrowest pattern.

Here's a short page w/some info and links that you can take a look at if you want. Good luck.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:36 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

The cam lobes are designed to meet some basic requirements, velocity, acceleration, jerk, etc... they aren't designed for a specific rocker or anything else. In fact many lobes are used for sbc, bbc, sbf, olds, pont, etc while only changing the base circle.

You give cam companies too much credit for their off the shelf lobes.

Custom lobes are a different story but almost no one gets a custom lobe for the street.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:23 AM
More machine than man

Last journal entry: bwaahhaahahaaahhaa
Last photo:

The smallest wipe pattern is the best. It will yield slightly more lift and cause the valve to open and close quicker. Again we are not talking HUGE changes, but why the heck are we on hotrodders.com? It is because we LOVE sweating the details over an engine build.

I think Comp and other companies espouse the center of the valve method because (A) its easier and (B) less chance of the tip walking off the valve stem. Both are aimed at newbies.

A few thousands of lift are gained by switching to roller rockers over stamped rockers. Oil temps are reduced by using roller rockers. Reduced detonation is achieved by selecting the proper head gasket. A little power is made by using flat top pistons, etc, etc. All these little things add up to a great engine.

I suggest you read this: mid lift rockers
and pay attention to the posts made by "millerrockers". He built his own company centered around the mid lift rocker idea: Jim Miller, MID-LIFT Geometry, Rocker Arms, Race Engine Parts
Old 08-07-2012, 10:50 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Surfer View Post
The smallest wipe pattern is the best. It will yield slightly more lift and cause the valve to open and close quicker. Again we are not talking HUGE changes, but why the heck are we on hotrodders.com? It is because we LOVE sweating the details over an engine build.

I think Comp and other companies espouse the center of the valve method because (A) its easier and (B) less chance of the tip walking off the valve stem. Both are aimed at newbies.

A few thousands of lift are gained by switching to roller rockers over stamped rockers. Oil temps are reduced by using roller rockers. Reduced detonation is achieved by selecting the proper head gasket. A little power is made by using flat top pistons, etc, etc. All these little things add up to a great engine.

I suggest you read this: mid lift rockers
and pay attention to the posts made by "millerrockers". He built his own company centered around the mid lift rocker idea: Jim Miller, MID-LIFT Geometry, Rocker Arms, Race Engine Parts
Lift is not gained by a roller, its by the ratio, which can vary for stamped or roller.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:54 AM

Last photo:

Guys, thanks for the responses, but most of you are not understanding my question. More likely, I didn't ask it clearly enough.

I understand the geometry issue. I know how to measure it, set it up, etc.

Ap72 answered it the way I intended.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:55 AM
JS-70

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72 View Post
Lift is not gained by a roller, its by the ratio, which can vary for stamped or roller.
Although a roller has more accuracy, meaning between a set of sixteen they are all about the same. You cant say that about a stamped rocker. Roller also reduces friction, and theoreticaly should reduce oil temp.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:58 AM
More machine than man

Last photo:

Quote:
I never said that. Given two identical roller rockers, one with mid lift (aka smaller wipe pattern) vs. center wipe (aka Comp Cams), the mid lift system will yield more lift.

EDIT: OK I see this statement, "A few thousands of lift are gained by switching to roller rockers over stamped rockers." I meant to say that stamped rockers are not 1.5:1, they are less. And when you use a roller rocker you can be sure the ratio is in fact correct.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:12 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Surfer View Post
I never said that. Given two identical roller rockers, one with mid lift (aka smaller wipe pattern) vs. center wipe (aka Comp Cams), the mid lift system will yield more lift.

EDIT: OK I see this statement, "A few thousands of lift are gained by switching to roller rockers over stamped rockers." I meant to say that stamped rockers are not 1.5:1, they are less. And when you use a roller rocker you can be sure the ratio is in fact correct.
True, but neither gives max lift. There's only a gnat's fart in difference between midlift and max lift but it is there. Max lift requires a hair shorter pushrod than midlift, but the difference is very very small.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:19 AM
More machine than man

Last photo:

Quote:
Max lift requires a hair shorter pushrod than midlift, but the difference is very very small.
Whatchoo talkin bout Willis? I don't see how this is possible. You are translating linear motion through an arc. Therefore the maximum lift will be realized when half of the travel bisects the total arc. That is the most efficient means to translate the majority of the linear motion straight down via an arc.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:28 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

You'll see max lift when the line through the fulcrum and rocker tip is exactly perpendicular to the valve stem at peak lift, not midlift. The difference is really really small but its there.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.