Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Rocker Issue!! *** Happened?
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2013, 01:03 PM
FrankenPorsche

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn View Post
When I prime my engines, I check to see oil coming from all rockers. You have to turn the crank while priming to achieve this.

You don't adjust engine running?

It is unfortunate. Do not be too upset it happens, this is a minor set back.

First time I built my racing 440, I had all my friends around. The engine had a mechanical pump with tear in the diaphragm from reorientation. It pumped fuel into the crank case as I kept cranking it. A pos choke wire grounded out on the intake valley tray. BOOM! The dipstick fired across the garage.

Only thing I had to replace were the valve covers( bowed out) and the vally tray (ballooned).
It is a solid roller so no adjusting lash while running. I did check for oil while running with covers off, just didn't think about the guide plates. Never had a stepped push rod before.

Just got back from the speed shop with new guide plates. Comp Cams USA made. Should have the new rods and plates on in an hour or two.

Draining the oil, changing the filters. If it looks good, I'll take my chances. Most of the guideplates are bent and annealed, not worn down. Haven;t seen any shavings yet int he top end. We'll see what the bottom shows with the pan off. Good thing I have a 3 piece cross member and can pull the pan with the engine in the car!