Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Rocker pedestal repair on cast head?
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2011, 09:49 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbogie
No there isn't that kind of strength in JB Weld, that's sending glue to do the job of a welder.

I could venture that maybe if you can get this real clean inside the crack, maybe it could be brazed. Weld is what's really needed but welding on cast iron isn't very often successful. On the other hand you can go ahead and run this with my suggested fix to the rocker shaft and see how long it goes. Or put a band clamp around the pedestal or drill it for a cross bolt with the shaft bolt torqued up might hold it together, talk about a ghetto fix.

Nice thing about aluminum heads is they weld pretty easy. A not so subtle hint for your choice in replacement heads.

Bogie
Not trying to discredit your info it's great as usual.

This seems to be the fix all for the buicks. They claim it works better than the hardened aftermarket shafts. These together with some thing similar to what you are talking about would be ideal I'm sure. I could have been running cracked pedestals for the last couple years honestly. I never looked that closely at them.

http://www.rjcracing.com/RJC_Buick_P...ft_braces.html

I like the idea of a cross drilled small bolt. I think I'll try that with a stud setup. And rocker braces. I'm really not cranking out tons of RPM. hoping to keep it around 5800. (3.27 rear gear)

I know it is ghetto, but I am swapping over to LS1 soon and don't want to spend the money/time/labor for another set of heads. I've literally got $600 in the rebuild of this engine. Thanks so much for the input!

The little engine that could!