rocker question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2010, 06:15 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

rocker question

what kind of performance increase can you expect with roller rockers vs stock rockers

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2010, 06:28 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,076 Times in 959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaddox6
what kind of performance increase can you expect with roller rockers vs stock rockers
ZERO that is how much. It along with many other things you may start to actually feel a difference. But to bolt on rollers and expect to not be able to hold onto the steering wheel for all the power......... you just won't feel it.

Most mods are like this, something like lower gears in the rear end, an intake and carb change, a cam change, something like that you can feel it but just the roller rockers, not on your life. NOW, if those rollers came with a different ratio than the stockers, then you "could" be able to feel "something" but it isn't going to be earth shattering.

Brian
Old 02-25-2010, 08:07 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

In theory, there should be less friction in the valvetrain, resulting in higher RPMs....but the rest of the stuff (springs, cam, lifters etc) must be able to rev higher too.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:50 AM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62
In theory, there should be less friction in the valvetrain, resulting in higher RPMs....but the rest of the stuff (springs, cam, lifters etc) must be able to rev higher too.
I totally agree with poncho, you want all the performance you can get, Then you have to have the combo of everything in sinc, But just changing the rockers won't hurt but not a performance gain if everything else is not there. JMO

Cole
Old 02-25-2010, 10:23 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

A roller tip will get you nada. The roller tip (according to a respected member here) was said to need to be a HUGE diameter (relatively speaking), to replicate the radius of the OEM rocker.

A roller trunnion and tip (can't get the trunnion w/o the tip, except for some net lash OEM apps) will be less friction, heat and less destruction of the oil being "mashed" by the pivot ball/rocker interface- IF your engine has this set-up.

I think a big asset is the aftermarket roller rocker will have a more accurate ratio than the stamped OEM rockers- stamped rockers that are said to be off by as much as 0.2:1 or more on a 1.5:1 nominal ratio!

There is a place where roller rockers become necessary. High lift cams w/high spring pressure will kill pivot ball rockers, so roller rockers (or shaft mounted) are used.

In cases where the oil has been restricted to the top end, they're easier to keep lubed enough to keep from failing than stamped-type pivot ball rockers.

There are roller rockers that have "quick-lift"- designed to alter the opening and closing speeds of the valves.

Kind of off topic, but there are several other schemes used by the OM's to mount the rocker arms- pedestal mounted and shaft mounted to name two.

While shaft mounted rockers can (on some aftermarket heads, at least) be converted to stud mounted (like a SB/BBC, pre-net lash), this would be considered going backwards, IMHO.

All that said, there are a LOT of hard-running engines out on the streets using stamped steel rockers.

Are you dealing w/an 'older' Chevy?
Old 02-25-2010, 05:38 PM

rockers

thanks for the info...yeah its a mid 70's block.....just a messing around type motor ..just to play with....i've always use just the oem stamped rockers in the past but was curious about the rollers.... the little motors got a big crane cam in ... the lift i believe is around .514..... i built the motor to sound good and it does...i've gotten so old i'm more concerned about stopping than sheer speed
Old 02-25-2010, 06:27 PM
ASE Master Tech, Fabricator

Last wiki edit: Taurus 2-speed fan control wiring diagram Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Kinda like peaches and pears, but I swapped a set of 1.6 ratio full rollers and a K&N filter with the filter top onto my otherwise stock 93 S10 4.3, no other changes, and it dropped from 16.21 ET to a 15.71. The stock cam in these little motors really sucks though.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:41 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickracer
Kinda like peaches and pears, but I swapped a set of 1.6 ratio full rollers and a K&N filter with the filter top onto my otherwise stock 93 S10 4.3, no other changes, and it dropped from 16.21 ET to a 15.71. The stock cam in these little motors really sucks though.
A half second is nothing to sneeze at! How much HP does that equate to?

I wonder how much came from the 1.6 and how much from the K&N?
Old 02-25-2010, 06:53 PM

I swapped the K&N by itself on an outing before that trip to the track and it made no difference by itself. I could make a couple passes with the stock filter then a couple with the K&N now to see if it makes a difference with the roller rockers,
Might be a bit before I take it back to the track though, at least to run, it will probably be towing a 10 second Vega next time it goes to the track,
I only run it to be racing something when our V8 S10 group gets together on Funday Sundays at Speed World, usually I run my CBR 600F2. Next up will be the Vega, then my truck gets a 400+hp Vortec head 360.

Last edited by Rickracer; 02-25-2010 at 06:59 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:57 PM
WFO

Last photo:

You don't still have to go through St. Cloud to HW 15 to get to the track do you? I'm thinking that the Green way or whatever it's called might be a better hook-up?
Old 02-25-2010, 07:02 PM

I go 417 (Greenway) to the 408 (East-West) to Colonial. It used to take like an hour and a half to get to the track from Kissimmee, now if traffic is light, I can make it in about 40 minutes, but it's about $3.50 in tolls each way.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.