Rockers keep coming loose!!! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2005, 06:31 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Rockers keep coming loose!!!

I am having a problem with my roller rockers. They keep coming unadjusted, or loose.

I am running some Trickflow heads with screw in studs, guideplates, hardened pushrods, and the recommended (by Trickflow) roller rockers at a 1.6 ratio. These are all atop a 350.

I adjust the valves, start up the engine, runs great, no ticking or anything. As I drive, within 5 minutes or less, I start to hear valve ticking, and the running quality becomes worse and worse, until I start to hear popping. WHY ARE THEY DOING THIS? I have been through the valve adjustment 4 times now. If I try and adjust the one thats loosening while its running, I can get the idle quality back, however within a few minutes of driving, its back to its tricks again.

The rockers are held onto the studs by the long nut with the hex nut inside of it. Polylock I think its called? I adjust the particular valve, and then screw the hex nut into the rocker nut until its firm.

I need some help here lol.

I thought i had collapsed a lifter so I pulled the intake to check, and while I or a friend were adjusting the valves, a pushrod had come out of the lifter. I checked for straightness, it was good, put it back in its place, put the intake and all the goodies back on, went through the valve sequence, and started it up. Thats where this problem began.

I have run the engine on this setup with success before. It ran a good month and then I started experiencing these problems.

Advertisement

Last edited by Siggy_Freud; 02-21-2005 at 06:37 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2005, 06:38 PM

Last journal entry: More propane stuff
Last photo:

When you readjust them are the polylocks back to the same place or are they moving farther down? If they are moving down your cam could be going flat. The way I lock down polylocks is adjust your valve normaly and then hold the lock with a box end wrench so it will not move and then tighten down the allen screw.

John
Old 02-21-2005, 06:38 PM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:

Are the threads stripped?

Do you have enough thread to hold them on?

There are longer rocker studs made for roller rocker arms. I kept breaking studs until I got the longer ARP studs.

I have Trick Flow heads on my SBF. The rocker studs were fine on them. Do you have the original Trick Flow studs?
Old 02-21-2005, 06:40 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Poly-locks should work good. I was taught to adjust the valve until no slop in the push rod, take one quarter turn on nut, tighten the poly lock as tight as possible and then tighten the big nut one more quarter turn. This puts more "jam" on the poly-lock.

Never had one loosen on me.

Trees
Old 02-21-2005, 06:42 PM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:

The set screw alone should be enough to hold it.
Old 02-21-2005, 06:44 PM
Pure American Muscle

Last journal entry: Still Going
Last photo:

Had the same thing happen to me Siggy, Found out the nuts still backed off even though the lock screws where down. I took all of them off one at a time and use thread lock on them. And since the lock screws where still in place you just put them back on which keeps your valves set. It worked great and I have had no problem since.

Chris
Old 02-21-2005, 06:46 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Everything is original to the Trickflow heads. ARP studs came with it, and the rocker kit was a part number recommended for use by Trickflow. Its just wierd that I am having a problem with this now. How is the locknut supposed to keep the nuts from loosening? I can see how they dont allow it to tighten but loosening seems like it would happen the same.

I am wondering if threadlock is the answer or if I am having a deeper trouble with the lifters/cam. Right after I adjust it it seems to idle and rev great. Only after driving does it become a b|tch lol.
Old 02-21-2005, 06:50 PM

Last photo:

Trees is right on the money. If you don't jam the nut the rockers will lossen up. The set screw alone will not hold the adjustment. This is a very common "problem" most people have this problem the first time they try to use full roller rockers.

Since you have already tried several times to use the set screw to hold them and it didn't work. Try the way Trees described (which is the same way I do it). I tighten both the large nut and the set screw ate the same time once I have the set screw tight. I gaurantee they will not back off if you do it that way.

Royce

Edit: You do not need thread locker.
Old 02-21-2005, 06:55 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Okay. Makes sense to me. Im willing to try anything at this point lol . . . I'll grab some chow and give it a shot. I'll be sure to let you know how Trees method works.
Old 02-21-2005, 07:04 PM
More rust

Last photo:

Yup, you HAVE to tighten the whole polylock down after you tighten the set screw... For hydro lifters I always went 3/8 turn, then tighten the set screw, then the last 1/8; never had a problem after doing it like that.
Old 02-21-2005, 07:19 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Okay. So what I am doing is going 1/4 turn, tightening the locknut, and then going another 1/4 turn on the main stud nut. Seems to be tightening up pretty well. Idle is back . . . just have to see if it lasts lol.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:53 PM

Last photo:

So what's the word? Did the "alternative" way of adjusting work?

Royce
Old 03-01-2005, 12:07 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Yes sir it did. Sorry I did repost sooner. Been busy with homework and what not.

Doing the 1/4 turn, tightening down the locknut, and then doing another 1/4 turn (about that, it tightening up nice before the full 1/4) made everything nice and set. No rockers coming loose yet, and I've probably put 100 miles on it since then. Runs great. Its nice having the truck back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Truck.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	4070  
Old 03-01-2005, 05:50 PM

Last photo:

Good to hear. Nice looking truck, you don't see that body style hot rodded much (at least not around here). Is that a 65 or 66?

Royce
Old 03-01-2005, 05:58 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Its a 66 C20. My father found it at a farmers place when I was living in Ireland. I had sent him money that I had earned working and told him I wanted a truck (any kind any year lol). This was when I was 15. Returned a few months later to that in the garage. It was painted that way already. That is actually a fairly old picture from a few years ago. Since the paint looks a bit worse (more chips), the body trim is gone, the truck sits lower with radials and has different exhaust. I also ditched those mirrors (they were a plastic chrome) and went with the small round winged ones of the early 60's.

I am painting it in a few weeks. Corvette yellow and I am going to have a little bit more radial flames done.

I actually havent seen many of that model around here either. Most of them have the small back window and/or the two headlights instead of the quad setup.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.