Rockers Still Squeak! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2005, 03:59 PM
Jeeps Are Us!

Last journal entry: The Paint Shop
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Rockers Still Squeak!

Hello!

I rechecked the pushrod holes and they are in line with the rocker holes.

I replaced the Tall valve covers with Low profile valve covers, in order to create some type of Oil Deflector thing.
While the covers were taken off, I added on Comp Cams Rocker Lube to all the Pivot Balls.

Now, the squeak is even higher.

How do I overcome this problem?

Edelbrock suggest the use of +.100" longer than stock push rods with their RPM heads, and my block has not been decked at all.

Just in case, could these longer than stock pushrods, squeeze the lifters too much preventing them to pump enough oil to the rocker arms in the higher RPM?

The oil coming out of the push rods becomes too hot right after I start the engine. Could this be a problem?
The squeak also begins as soon as the engine becomes warm.

After I changed the stock rockers, and replaced them with Comp Cams Magnum Roller Tip 1.52 ratio Rocker arm, there was no squeak at all. After a week it started, but this time it's not all of the rockers that squeak. It's only one, or a couple. But as I said, changing to low profile valve covers & applying rocker lube, just increased this noise.

I will highly appreciate any comments regarding the above.

Thanks to all of you.

Houman SS '70

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2005, 04:10 PM
ex biker, now hotrodder

check for a broke spring, it got too be something other than rocker,hot oil is not problem
Old 09-01-2005, 04:22 PM
Jeeps Are Us!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve t
check for a broke spring, it got too be something other than rocker,hot oil is not problem
Thanks Steve.

I've checked it many times. The squeak is coming out of Pivot Ball & Rocker. That's it.

That's why I changed the stock rockers to Comp Cams.
And now after a week the comp cam Magnum rockers are also squeaking! But only One I think.

Take care,
Houman
Old 09-01-2005, 04:32 PM
ex biker, now hotrodder

did you switch rockers from 1 head to other, like i posted before, anything might work at this point
Old 09-01-2005, 04:39 PM
Jeeps Are Us!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve t
did you switch rockers from 1 head to other, like i posted before, anything might work at this point
Steve, intake rocker on cyl. no. 7 squeaks. I'm sorry, but what exactly should I do with this rocker? Remove it and switch it with another rocker on the other side?

Thanks for your help.

Houman
Old 09-01-2005, 07:21 PM
Hammer and a torch

Last photo:

Houman SS '70... Yes that is what he means... This is to isolate the problem to either that position or possibly that rocker...? You can swap it with another on the same side just take note of where your moving it to...

Also be sure to look closely at the ball & the socket area of the rocker to make sure of no galling or signs of overheating...

BTW send us some cheap gas please... (PM me and I`ll give you an address to send it to... 93 octane or better )
Old 09-01-2005, 10:09 PM

Last photo:

If the rocker is lubed up it won't squeak, I really think you have a pushrod that is slightly out of alignment and the new comp rocker just exagerated the problem. I've seen this happen a few times with aftermarket heads when the stud or pushrod hole isn't located perfectly. With the engine idling and hot so the squeaking is loud, take your finger and put some side pressure on the pushrod while it is moving up and down and see if the sound changes. If you hear a change in sound then take it apart and look for a wear mark on the pushrod hole in the head or the guidplate. You may have to open up the pushrod hole with a file and or replace or adjust the guideplate.

Let us know how it works out. Bob
Old 09-02-2005, 01:13 AM
Jeeps Are Us!

Last photo:

Thanks Bumpstick, Thanks Bob.

Actually, as I stated earlier, two-three weeks ago before I get these Comp Magnum Rockers, I had stock GM stamped rockers on and they were all squeaking!

So when almost all of them squeak, there should either be a major problem, or it should not be only one rocker or one rocker position which makes this porblem.

What I'm thinking is that, right now only one rocer squeaks. I can end up with more rockers squeaking if I don't find the problem!

I'm sure that it is not a specific rocker position which causes this problem.

But right now ( it's our weekend here 11:30 morning) I'm gonna go downstairs and do as you said.

BTW Bumpstick, why should there be signs of over heating? My engine never overheats!

The oil seems to be very hot, but ... Temp. is always on 170-190.

Thanks
Houman
Old 09-02-2005, 02:13 AM
489 Lemans

Last journal entry: Street Legal
Last photo:

I seen some of your earlier postings but you seemed to be getting lots of help and didn't bother to post. Stock rocker arms have short slots. I don't know how high your lift is. But, on higher lift cams you need long slot rockers or they will hit the studs. I am also not familiar with the roller tips you are using. They may also be short slot rockers. Before running out and buying Edelbrock's magic pushrods. Check valve geometry. I found my pushrods were already .030 too long. Edelbrock's magic pushrods would have put me .130 over.

Things to check.
Is the rocker arm wearing a groove in the stud. Side grooves are pushrod misalignment. End grooves are rocker slots too short. Check the valve stem. Did the stock rockers start wearing on one side of the stem. Another sign of misalignment. Are the rocker tips touching the spring retainers? The guides can be moved by loosening the rocker studs. The rocker tip should sit as centered on the valve stem as possible without the pushrod rubbing on the head casting.
Old 09-02-2005, 05:35 AM
Hammer and a torch

Last photo:

Houman SS '70... I was meaning overheating on the metal of the ball and rocker not the engine...

Oh and our 93 octane (Chevron) went to 3.15 gal. yesterday... (you dont want to know what it is on the full service isle)...

Also when you are checking on this problem take note of the various suggestions from people and read them closely and you will find the issue... Several have posted really good detailed things to check... The problem you stated about the one that was oiling to much is caused by the check ball not seating correctly in the lifter...
Old 09-02-2005, 05:44 AM
Jeeps Are Us!

Last photo:

Things to check.
Is the rocker arm wearing a groove in the stud. Side grooves are pushrod misalignment. End grooves are rocker slots too short. Check the valve stem. Did the stock rockers start wearing on one side of the stem. Another sign of misalignment. Are the rocker tips touching the spring retainers? The guides can be moved by loosening the rocker studs. The rocker tip should sit as centered on the valve stem as possible without the pushrod rubbing on the head casting.[/QUOTE]

Hi Bracketeer!

I have already used Summit +.100 longer than stock pushrods when assembling the engine. I did it because Edlebrock Cylinder head instructions says " +.100" loneger than stock push rods must be used with these heads"

Now let's go back to your questions (BTW thanks for taking time to help me)

1- My lift is .468 intake and .489 exhaust.

2- Rockers are: Comp Cams Magnum Roller tip rockers with 1.52 ratio.

3- Stock rockers started wearing on the center of the valve stems. No rubbing on the end grooves and no rubbing on the side grooves either.
Stock rocker arms were being rubbed from the inside, which means the ball & socket area of the rockers where worn out. and the ball as well.

4- The tip of the rocker doesn't touch the valve spring retainers.
5- Oil is coming up from all of the push rods.

Now same thing has happened to Intake rocker of Cylinder no. 5. ( the 6th rocker on the drivers side head)

So as a couple of hotrodders suggested, I swaped the squeaking rocker & ball. I swaped Cyl.# 5's intake to Cyl. #1's Exhaust.

So now the same rocker is squeaking. Only one rocker.
When I apply some pressure with my fingers to the center side of the squeaking rocker, it becomes silent.

The stock rockers were almost all squeaking, I'm affraid that the number of the squeaking rockers increases.
I hope not. But I can just hope, because I really don't know why this is happening.

Most of all, i should tell you that I think it's ball that's wearing out, not the rocker sockets.

Thanks for your advises. I wait for your reply.

Houman

Old 09-02-2005, 06:14 AM
Jeeps Are Us!

Last photo:

Very Important

One thing which I forgot to mention.

Noticed that when replacing the rockers, when the ball is fully in it's place in the rocker, it is still on the stud treads.

Does the ball usually rotates inside the rocker? Maybe being on the threads, limits it's rotation causing it to wear just in one position and uneven?

Could it be?

If yes, what should I do? change studs??? Or change push rod to stock length? What can be done?
Of course in case the ball shouldn't be on the stud treads.

Thanks,
Houman
Old 09-02-2005, 07:35 AM
489 Lemans

Last journal entry: Street Legal
Last photo:

Did you try moving the guide plate on the one valve that is squeaking? Heads at the factory are just slapped together. You must adjust each guideplate for your application.

Also, there is a little plastic tool you can buy for checking geometry. You slide it down the stud shaft and see if it hits the valve or the "stock" pushrod first. It should hit them both at exactly the same time. If it hits one before the other. You measure the gap and it tells you what size pushrods to use.

For example; if it hits the valve first. You measure the gap between the tool and the pushrod and it tells you what oversize pushrod length you require.

As said before. My stock pushrods were already .030 too long with Edelbrock heads. I just left things as they were and have had no problem using the stock pushrods.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:00 AM
Jeeps Are Us!

Last photo:

Sorry, can't get that tool.

I'm far away. I'm in Iran, no access to such stuff.

But I did adjust the guid plates when assembling the engine.

Now, if the push rods are too long, what happenes?

Old 09-02-2005, 09:32 AM
Jeeps Are Us!

Last photo:

Photo of the squeaking Rocker

Guys,

There's a photo of the rocker in my gallery.

Thanks for assiting.

Houman SS '70

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.