Old 03-19-2010, 11:41 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubbed357
Well this time im going for a high compression pump gas friendly 357. somewhere around 11:1 hoping to have one nasty street car. I have a decent set of small chamber heads with big valves. Im going to be going with the XE284 cam. At first i was gong to get a thumpr but i realized they really are not a power based cam, more for just sound ha. Should be one nice motor when im done this time the block is going to the machine shop next week along with the heads. Still need to get the stall but its coming. Any tips you could give me as far as building a nasty street motor. Thanks again
Sounds like a plan. Only don't get to carried away w/CR unless you have a good supply of high octane fuel. An iron head will tolerate maybe 10:1 CR w/premium and the right cam. A fast burn head like the Vortec might tolerate a bit more than that w/o issues. Too much and it gets detonation prone w/o a LOT of cam and/or race fuel.

When you get ready to start w/it, why not start a thread on the engine and what you specifically want to do w/it. That way, everyone will see it and you'll get a good response.

And good idea to pass on the Thumper. There are better performing cams available, IMO.