Rod Bearings - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2007, 09:18 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Rod Bearings

Hey guys quick question here. My new rod bearings from clevitte have an "M" stamped on one half and an "L" stamped on the other. Does it matter which one goes on the rod portion and which one on the cap?? I always thought that rod bearings were identical top and bottom you just need to make sure to line up the alignment grooves.

Thanks for any help here,
Keith

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2007, 12:45 AM

anybody please....
Old 09-12-2007, 05:58 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Are the bearings "P" bearings or "H" bearings and what are you using for a crank, ie: does it have large radius journals?
Old 09-12-2007, 08:29 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,057 Times in 879 Posts
I knew that bearings were thinner at the parting line on each side to allow for the hammering they get....so they won't close up on the journal and wipe the oil off. What I did not know is that they come in different levels of eccentricity. In other words, if you take an old bearing shell and place it like a "U" on a hard surface and beat on the inside of the shell with a ball-pien hammer, it'll curl up like a potato chip. I think I remember it was Smokey Yunick who discovered this and had the bearing manufacturers begin making bearings egg-shaped with the wider part of the shells at the parting line to prevent their curling up or "pinching" and wiping the lube off the journal.

Here's some info from Clevite 77 that helps to explain the "L" and "M" stampings on your bearings.....

"Connecting rods are subjected to high inertia loads at the top of the exhaust stroke when the weight of the piston, rings, wrist pin and top end of the rod are all pulling on the rod cap. This loading tries to stretch the rod and pulls the big end out of round causing it to close in across the parting line. In this case, bearing wall eccentricity provides extra clearance to let the rod flex without having the bearings contact the shaft. Besides low, medium and high eccentricity, Clevite 77 High Performance Bearings are offered with numerous additional features to make them compatible with related parts and suitable for the loads and speeds of competition engines."

The "L" stamp is for "Low eccentricity", while the "M" stamp is for Medium eccentricity. If I'm understanding the above paragraph correctly, I'd install the M bearing shell in the rod cap and the L bearing shell in the main part of the rod.

Last edited by techinspector1; 09-12-2007 at 08:40 PM.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:48 PM

Last photo:

Good information

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.