Rod and Jet for 350 Truck - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2008, 01:56 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Red: I put the trout back. I am strickly catch and release. I caught the same brown last year a few yards form where I caught him this year. They get bigger and more fun to catch.

The local muffler shop can build me an h pipe. I have been meaning to do if for some time but I am waiting to get some Dynamax super turbo mufflers and have him install them all at the same time. I don't have a welder and have never learned to weld. I am thinking that an X pipe will have better flow.

I will try bumping the timing back up to 14 and see how close I am to 50. It is usually really hot when I pull the trailer so I will be sure to back it off before heading out this summer. I might also try the different heat range plugs.

I already have a 1" aluminum spacer. It seemed to pick up some torque after I installed it.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2008, 03:01 PM

Last photo:

Amen on the catch and release....
14mm people in FL.....
the environmental and fishing pressure on the fish is/has ruining the sport...
fresh water and saltwater....
(every species is locked down for slot limit and season so it should get better in 5-10 years)

drive safe
Red
Old 05-11-2008, 08:14 PM

Here is an update on my tuning efforts on my 350 power 72 Chevy pickup. I got the timing set (see how much advance is too much) and changed the rods and springs in the carb. It runs great but it used 1/2 tank of gas on a 80 mile trip. Although I was looking for performance it was supposed to be based on economy as well. I haven't pulled a trailer with it yet but I'm sure it won't ping. Everything sounded and ran really good. Spark plugs were tan.

I will be changing back to the stock rods and back to the silver springs and see if the timing changes helped the pinging and the gas mileage.

I found a 17057204 quadrajet and factory aluminum intake manifold here in town for $25. I put the qjet on my 66 Catalina with a 428 and it ran great. The carb was really clean so I didn't do anything to it but put on the adaptor and some sealant on the old gaskets. The idle screws were opened about 6 turns so the idle was at 1400 and off the idle speed screw. I set the idle mixture screws to 1 1/2 turns and it ran fine. I set the idle speed to 800 rpm. Only 15 hg of vacuum but that is what I had with the AFB. The choke opened on its own but I didn't have it connected to anything. I plugged the connection with a hose. How do these chokes work?

I am going to install the qjet on the 350 and see if I can get better gas mileage with the same performance.

Timing is at 12 initial, 35 cent and 51TT.

Last edited by Mertz; 05-11-2008 at 08:20 PM.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:30 PM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Thanks for the update Mertz! Let us know what happens with your changes.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:45 AM

Last photo:

hey Mertz,
thanks also for the update....

without a rear wheel dyno all you can do is test/test/test...

for mpg, "if" the plugs are still tan/brown after awhile on the stock 75/47 rods and springs you are not at the max lean A/F yet....
you may want to experiment with the 95 jets and rods sizes combo's.....
(LOL get it lean enough and the motor will drive like it has asthma)

I don't recall anyone on the board doing a Qjet swap with your stock cam/motor/weight combo...

do please post your findings....
Old 05-12-2008, 09:38 PM

I put the stock rods back in the carb and it doesn't have a much power or sound as nice but it does appear to be getting better gas mileage. I try a longer trip and see what happens.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:28 AM

Last photo:

the rods change 75 to 73 was a small change for how much gas consumed to get more pep....

my guess is the springs are the main poor mpg cause.....

CRS=didn't you put the 8hg springs in?....
that will make it run on the rich step sooner and more often when accelerating or a steep hill...(and hurt mpg)
stick some weaker springs in, if they are to weak it will bog and maybe ping on a hill?

WARNING: be gentle with those rods caps screws....they will twist off fairly easy!!!

lol..(now your in the same predicament as me)...my motor wants and likes richer rods...I've still got the lean rods in there for now...
Old 05-13-2008, 08:57 AM

On the latest test drive (about 15 miles) I stayed with the stock springs and the stock rods. It had the silver springs when I started all this tuning. I could go weaker if you think that will help. The truck ran fine and had good pickup with no bog. It just wasn't as good at it was with the richer rods. I checked with the shop I get my rods from and they don't have any leaner rods for the .098 jets. The charts shows that if I want to go leaner I need to change to .095 jets. I don't want to take the carb apart to change jets. They also said the springs won't make much difference in mpg. I didn't think that was correct since they would make it richen earlier.

I'm pretty careful with the screws and use a nutdriver with a small grip.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:15 AM

UPDATE

I finally got a chance to go on vacation and pull my trailer. The truck performed very well. There was no pinging and it pulled the 7% grade at 40 mph without me stepping into WOT. Gas mileage was down to about 10 when pulling but better when just cruising up and down the river looking for trout. Gas mileage probably has a lot to do with having to use ethanol in the gas.

Thanks for everyones help.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:50 AM

Last photo:

LOL
my "update"
price of gas dropped about $.25....

that was all the excuse I needed for putting the thinner rods (richer/less mpg) back in and have the "instant" pedal response I really do like....

glad to hear you and the truck are doing well

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.