Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Rod ratio
Thread: Rod ratio
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2005, 08:19 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

From my bench racing point of view is this. I'm a long rod fan. Well over 10 years ago I read an article where a sbc was built using 2 sets of rods & pistons, one long rod and the other short. They swapped the two during dyno tests, keeping everything else the same to keep variables to a minimum. The long rod set up made a modest amount more. But as I said, this was over 10 years ago. I've read so many different point of views, I don't know who to believe. With todays heads, cams and intake systems it may not be such a big deal anymore. Most likely you'd be better of spending money on a custom cam, headers or some dyno time IMO. There comes a pratical limit, is the expense having a custom set of rods and pistons in search for the idea rod ratio worth it over readily and cheaper off the shelf parts? Look athe the Ford 428 and Chevy 454. Two well respected engines know for their power and both have so called lousy rod ratios, something like 1.43 or something like that IIRC. It'll be interesting to hear what a profession engine builder has to say.