Rodder with Insurance Claim Question - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2012, 09:54 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,322 Times in 1,147 Posts
Exactly Mike, they get a LOT of people who just cash the check and they never seen them again.

You can't believe how many of those people later claim it as part of another claim! Oh yes I have seen it a number of times. I remember an adjuster telling me about one that day where he saw a car at the drive in claims center as he was walking out of the building to do claims out in the field at shops. That car stuck in his head, he called the adjuster at the office and told him to do a search on claims and sure enough the guy had been paid twice on the same thing already and was looking for a third!

Heck, I have people all the time who will let me know with a few things said that they are going to cash out, it's hard as hell to write a decent estimate when you KNOW they are never going to get it fixed, not just with you or anyone. But I know they are "entitled" to the money, and I write it as I see it. But I have have them want me to remove a bumper to make sure there is no hidden damage and do this all for the est. I tell them I am sorry but that would take creating a work order and if you don't have the car fixed you would have to pay for that time. They just can't understand it, they think we should be doing it for free.
We just had a guy last week FORCE his girl friend to take the car out of the shop after we had torn it down for a complete est. He was going on and on how we were ripping her off and spouting AM prices he had gotten on line that were so much cheaper and she will "make" all the money left over. He drove the car out there in a huff without a fender front bumper or lights. Now mind you in talking to this guy he didn't know CRAP about autobody, we are talking NOTHING. How he is going to get it painted is beyond me, I would love to see it when it's done.

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2012, 10:23 AM

Last photo:

Let's be fair bout the whole matter though... Body shops do try and pull stuff all the time, just like insurance companies, just like customers, you catch my drift... Charging for new parts, getting used..ect. As do adjusters...writing up bids under priced as mentioned. The point is WORK WITH A GOOD TRUSTED body shop, not best priced, or I'll give you money back. Do your own homework, or ask folks you "know", like us here on Hotrodder forum who have experience. Knowledge is power.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:30 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsm1847
Let's be fair bout the whole matter though... Body shops do try and pull stuff all the time, just like insurance companies, just like customers, you catch my drift... Charging for new parts, getting used..ect. As do adjusters...writing up bids under priced as mentioned. The point is WORK WITH A GOOD TRUSTED body shop, not best priced, or I'll give you money back. Do your own homework, or ask folks you "know", like us here on Hotrodder forum who have experience. Knowledge is power.
I have to tell you this is one reason why I love working where I do. First off, let's make this perfectly clear, it's a production collision shop. I am not always proud of the work we put out (sometimes, but not always that's for sure) some of the guys I work with, they have no pride, no pride. But one thing I can say, we don't play games. There is NO WAY, NO WAY we would would EVER charge for something that wasn't on the car. Sure the occasional clip or some goofy thing like that slips by. But if it is apart on the work order it gets on the car EXACTLY as it is written. One of the reasons I have stayed there for 12 years is the the work ethics of the owners. The other day I found a part that wasn't put on a car, a car that was already delivered. The tech put the original part on by mistake, it had very little damage and it was hidden, no one would ever see it. I called my boss at his desk and asked him what he wanted me to do about it. He said return it out of the RO back to the dealer, and send him a note so he can send the revised to the insurance company with a check for that amount, and send a revised RO to the customer. THAT is how I like to do business.

But yes, your advice is good, find a shop you can trust and let them handle it, that is the shops job, to meet YOUR expectations on the repair, PERIOD.

Brian
Old 06-23-2012, 10:54 AM

Last photo:

That's good to hear Brian. Integrity never comes back to bite you in the tush, it comes back to reward you. While dishonesty ALWAYs catches up...
Old 06-23-2012, 11:13 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsm1847
That's good to hear Brian. Integrity never comes back to bite you in the tush, it comes back to reward you. While dishonesty ALWAYs catches up...
Another amazing example was when an insurance adjuster came into the shop to look at a car. It had a broken rad support, just a crack. But we wrote to replace not repair. The adjuster thought he was being a great guy and grabbed a hammer and broke it real bad for his photo saying NOW it needs to be replaced. Now you would think this would make my boss happy right? You would think your typical bodyshop owner would be thrilled that this adjuster was helping him out. He called the guys boss and told him he never wanted this adjuster in his shop again and told them what he did. That is the kinda guy I work for.

It's like anything we choose to do in life, you can make money the right way, or the wrong way, it's your choice.

Brian

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.