Rodding to do list? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2006, 05:45 PM
Just havin' fun.....

Last journal entry: Wheels and tires
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Rodding to do list?

Centerline has written a great tutorial on staying organized while building a car. Anyone that has restored a car or built a hot rod has experienced the hundreds of steps you go through before the project is completed. 'course I don't think they are ever really completed

I am curious on how others keep track of all the steps that are necessary. Do you use a project manager program, spreadsheet, simple to do list, your photographic memory or other method?

To do lists, clip board/notebook and a tub file try to keep order in my shop. Generally I'll compile / brainstorm everything needing to be done and organize th "to do's" by component (frame, body, powertrain, etc) so the list doesn't seem so overwhelming. These to do list items are placed in somewhat of a logical order. As items are completed or new items discovered needing to be done the list is updated accordingly. I'll also keep a parts needed list. The tub file / notebook organizes the reciepts and component instructions.

There will be as many different methods as there are people. Just looking for input on how you do it.

Thanks!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2006, 05:47 PM

Last photo:

I make lists upon lists upon lists.

Now I want a link to Centerline's method!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-26-2006, 08:19 PM
Last photo:

I had made list after list on my project 34, but it keeps getting revised by my wife, my mom, my kids, yard work, my job, my dog............. . Oh and I almost forgot another woman, a gal by the name of hurricane Rita, hope I don't have any more of those women to deal with.

Vince
Old 05-26-2006, 09:34 PM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

I'm right in there with Vince. Those ladies of his keep me busy at my regular job building windows. And the wife has a Honey-do list. That thing never gets shorter. Then I also have a nasty habit of never learing to say "No, I'm to busy right now" if somebody needs a quick favor. Lists really seem to do it for me, if I stay on-topic, and into one section of the project at a time.

In a while, Chet.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:01 PM
Lost in the 50s!

Last journal entry: time to start body work
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by advanced design
.....Do you use a project manager program, spreadsheet, simple to do list, your photographic memory or other method?
I use my photgraphic memory .....then again I am usually out of film or forget and leave the lens cap on.
Old 05-27-2006, 04:51 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

I try to sort things into small, accomplishable goals, then complete each before going to another. Sometimes I'll have 2-3 "open" at the same time, like say building the engine, but start on the front suspension while the block is getting machine work. If you don't keep it to small steps that you can accomplish in a reasonably short time, you'll get burned out quick! With short tasks that get done you at least seem to be getting somewhere instead of having a big pile of crap that just doesn't seem like it will ever come together! Take a break now and then, but don't let to much time pass between tasks. If you're starting to get burned out work on something lighter for the next task.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.