Rods on Alternate fuel? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2008, 05:18 PM
Wolf in Hot Rodders upholstery

Last journal entry: Tail light issues
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Rods on Alternate fuel?

I am wondering if anyone is running your Rod with alternate fuel? I have a mission to convert my ride to some form of alternate fuel, cause I heard that gas prices are going to go to 4 or 4.50 a gal this summer and it seems that gas is going up each year! I WILL not pay 5 or 6 bucks a gallon for gas, in the future!

I also ran across a web site that says you can run an engine on compressed air! Anyone know anything about that?

Signed: Sick of high gas prices!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2008, 05:54 PM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Last photo:

Quote:
I WILL not pay 5 or 6 bucks a gallon for gas, in the future!
You shouldn't have said that ....at your young age, I predict you indeed, "will"

I used to read up on the old "car's & parts" magazine and "old cars weekly" on history of stuff. EVERYTHING has been tried...like 90-100 years ago! Spring power, compressed air, electrics, steam you name it. And what do we use today?..gas & diesel...just like your gramps used. Sad to say, but our politicans & the powers that control them, are not serious about such issues. IMO.

A friend of mine hopes to build a cockpit type lakes-style streamliner that runs on batteries. He wants to use solar panels on his house to run the house batteries, plus charge the car, PLUS sell the extra back to the utility company. I am NOT holding my breath on this one

With the average hotrod, steetrod, whatever you care to call it, everything is wrong for MPGs. Poor areodynamics, too heavy, inefficient engines & fuel systems, you name it.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:09 PM
Wolf in Hot Rodders upholstery

Last journal entry: Tail light issues
Last photo:

F&G (quote) EVERYTHING has been tried...like 90-100 years ago! Spring power, compressed air, electrics, steam you name it. And what do we use today?..gas & diesel...just like your gramps used. Sad to say, but our politicans & the powers that control them, are not serious about such issues. IMO.

Yea, Sad but true! You know there is some one out there that will invent a self propelled engine some day! Why not me! I'm workin on a "32.1 Gigawatt Flux Capacitor" engine right now!

Seriously there has got to be some alternate to GAS!
Old 03-04-2008, 06:46 PM

Last photo:

Well where i live, ethanol is not available, even though they just converted an old Miller Plant into a Ethanol Production facility.

On that note, i was planning on converting my 383 to run on propane in the near future. I believe it is somewhat of a simple swap of the carb and fuel lines and fuel tanks. I just dont know what kind of equivelency it has to gas (like 1 lb. of propane = ? gallons of gas). Propane around here is rather cheap. A gas grill tank by me is $8.90 at one place plus tax.

I was figuring on putting like 2 or 3 forklift tanks in my trunk (G-body). I thinks that would be somewhat equivalent to my current gas tank.

Also i know there is somewhat of a power loss, but how much?

Someone with a little experience on the subject would be appreciated.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:07 PM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Last photo:

Quote:
Seriously there has got to be some alternate to GAS!
I don't watch much news, but about 6-10 months ago there was a national news story on Brazil? I think;... they are light years ahead in making some sort of alchohol/methanol/type fuel and the engine mods to make it all work efficiently. Maybe do some google searches to find out more about that effort. I "think" the jist of the story was that they offered the USA help in doing it here, but it was rejected? Not positive on that.

I'm not keen on propane, only because look what happened to diesel fuel prices....it used to be cheap compared to gas. Propane is going up a LOT here in the past year.

Our politicians need to wake the h... up! Here in the northeast, heating is mostly fuel oil, except in the bigger cities. Right now, I'm paying 500 per month on oil!!! If lots of aging baby boomers retire on fixed incomes, there is chaos ahead!
Old 03-05-2008, 11:44 AM

Last photo:

I'm the Fleet Maintenance Manager at MCI (Kansas City International Airport) and we currently have 36 buses which run on CNG. The fuel cost now is about $1.25 per equivalent gallon. The CNG runs very clean. I would love to run my Rod on CNG(Compressed Natural Gas). NG loves compression also.. But theres no CNG stations around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortypickup
I am wondering if anyone is running your Rod with alternate fuel? I have a mission to convert my ride to some form of alternate fuel, cause I heard that gas prices are going to go to 4 or 4.50 a gal this summer and it seems that gas is going up each year! I WILL not pay 5 or 6 bucks a gallon for gas, in the future!

I also ran across a web site that says you can run an engine on compressed air! Anyone know anything about that?

Signed: Sick of high gas prices!
Old 03-05-2008, 11:55 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Posted by mitchc:
"But theres no CNG stations around."

It's the American success story Mitch..."find a need and fill it". You've identified the need, now start networking with your attorney and banker to determine how to do a start-up business filling CNG cylinders.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:02 PM
Last photo:

Brazil gets it's ethanol from sugar beets, unlike the mindless morons in this country who use corn. which drives up the price of just about every food product we eat.

Vince
Old 03-05-2008, 12:07 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Z28
Brazil gets it's ethanol from sugar beets, unlike the mindless morons in this country who use corn. which drives up the price of just about every food product we eat.

Vince
Someone told me they use sugar cane ???
Old 03-05-2008, 12:24 PM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1
Someone told me they use sugar cane ???
Might be, but it sure ain't corn.

Vince
Old 03-05-2008, 06:45 PM

Last photo:

Anybody have any info with propane. Like the propane-gasoline equivelency or the power loss associated?
Old 03-14-2008, 06:48 PM

Last journal entry: More propane stuff
Last photo:

Propane has 91000 btus per gallon. Gasoline has around 115000 btus.

I have a sequential injection system on some of my computer controlled trucks and have noticed no loss in power. Mileage is less due to the energy differential. Propane is difficult to find sometimes and not really much cheaper than gas in most places especially if you figure the loss in mileage. If your rig gets 12 on gas its gonna get 10 on propane. If you are in the propane business or know someone who is then I would recomend it. Or if you are really concerned about your carbon emissions.

I have an 86 monte that will be propane injected using keihin injectors and a link computer. If I can ever find the time to work on it.

-John
Old 03-15-2008, 08:20 AM

Last photo:

Check out H-Line Conversions based in Wichita, KS.

They've garnered quite a bit of press recently. On a recent episode of "Pimp my Ride", they took a 1965 Chevy Impala and converted it to run on biodiesel. It pushes 800 horsepower while still getting 25 miles per gallon. The shop is also in the process of converting Neil Young's 1959 Lincoln Continental into a green, fuel-efficient machine. They're converting the drivetrain to some sort of biodiesel-electric generator hybrid that will get 100 miles to the gallon.

I would love for these guys to convert my Prowler to some sort of gas-sipping hybrid. What a show car that would be!
Old 03-15-2008, 08:51 AM
GTS Monaro Coupe 406

Last photo:

Aussie oil wells are full of LPG and theres quite a few running it here. There are high performance setups ready for us and ive read that you can run more compression with gas then the petrol we get now days from the bowser.

Interesting site here for high performance setups.

http://www.gasresearch.com.au/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	g013.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	28641   Click image for larger version

Name:	g001.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	28642  

Last edited by SnottyAust; 03-15-2008 at 08:08 PM.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:05 AM
bentwings

Last photo:

E-85 is readily available here in Minn so I plan on converting the Willys to run it this summer. You can buy E-85 carbs which are just recalibrated standard carbs. There are even a few guys making a good living out of converting carb to E-85. Works good on blown motors too.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.