roll cage - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2011, 08:49 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

roll cage

Im installing an 8 point cage in 87 monte ss. My first install. Im confused in a couple places. The rear strut braces, do i have to weld these to frame or pan? difference in either? instructions say if welding to frame, weld at spring. now do I weld this at the spring mount or onto frame rail? Hoop support, theres isnt much detail as to where to weld this on frame. I realize this is a vague post, but I'm kinda lost here. comp engineering was real vague when i contacted them. I couldnt find much detail or pics online.

any help appreciated

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2011, 09:51 AM

Last photo:

I would X the rear tubes to the top of the coil spring buckets if its a full on drag car. If you do a straight shot to them you will loose the rear seat. You can follow the contour of the rear window and go through the package tray if it is to be a streeter. If you are running stock mounted suspension, take the time to beef up the upper control arm mounts. Make sure the chassis is level and square when you install the cage. These G body frames are very flexible. Attach the cage to the frame, NOT the floor. It also would benefit greatly by adding a forward hoop to tie the front frame rails into.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:14 AM

Last photo:

X2 on crossing the rear supports and IMO, you really need to look at an NHRA rule book before you do this. It would be a shame for you to go to all this work and have a tech guy turn you away because you didn't follow a procedure in the book. I've seen it happen. The halo and front supports are a good idea also, depending on how fast you want to go. It's required quicker than 10.0 I believe.....once again, rule book.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:05 PM

Thanks guys that's real helpfull, by crossing them I assume you mean just that, passenger side to top of driver side spring etc... Does it matter where I weld this on the coil spring bucket? Once again thanks alot.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:09 PM

Last photo:

Center up on the bucket the best you can. And yes, get a rulebook. I assume the cage will be to spec thickness if your buying from a reputable dealer,but there are other installation issues the rule book will help you with. Build it correct and get it tagged. A car with an untagged cage is useless.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.