Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (
-   Engine (
-   -   roller cam (

chevrolet327 07-09-2007 04:54 PM

roller cam
can i put a roller cam in a old 1963 small journall 327 and did somebody know if is realy better than a flat tappet cam

Jmark 07-09-2007 05:07 PM

The aftermarket roller lifters will fit fine and you will love em! someday standard lifters will be obsolute! LOL Less wear, less friction, can handle more agressive ramps and cam lobes don't go south during breakin. Best of everything, except the $$$$ for a set! :drunk:


DoubleVision 07-09-2007 05:21 PM

For what you`ll spend on lifters, retainers, pushrods and camshaft, it would likely cost the same to find a 1987 or later 350 with a factory roller cam. Then find a 307 crankshaft, have it balanced, throw it in the 350 block and use 327 pistons and you have a 327 with the benefits of you`ll just have to buy the cam, not the whole kit, and the large journal blocks came factory with stronger rods. Speaking for me, this is how I would do it, my reason being I trust small journal rods about as far as I can throw a anvil. Or you could just stick with the straight 350, slap in the cam, add the correct valve springs and be on your way.

ericnova72 07-09-2007 05:28 PM

roller cam
Sorry DoubleVision, you can't put the 307 crank in the '87 and newer block because a 2-piece seal crank won't go into a 1-piece seal block.

DoubleVision 07-09-2007 06:52 PM

Sorry Eric, you can with a 2 piece seal adaptor.

ericnova72 07-09-2007 07:57 PM

roller cam
I realize you can with an adapter, but it's pretty expensive, just so you can use a cast crank from a large journal engine. Also, what about the cost of having it installed? The whole idea is getting pretty expensive for no more motor than you're going to have when it is done.

DoubleVision 07-09-2007 08:57 PM

Having what installed? You can install the adapter yourself. This is the same thing I`m about to do. I have a 96 Vortec block I`m dropping a 68 307 crank in using a adaptor. I`m also using 5.940 rods out of a 95 L99 4.3 V8 "Baby LT1" as there called. I didn`t say he had to do it, I just said it`s what I would do. I bought a vortec engine years ago complete for $300, I could have stabbed a cam in it and intake swap and been down the road, which would have been cheaper overall than buying the whole works to set up a roller cam in a small journal block then praying everytime I revved it that it wouldn`t come unglued. But, to each his own.

baddbob 07-10-2007 05:20 AM

The aftermarket is making some good rods for the small journal engines, I put Eagle H-beams in my Son's 331 and they have huge 7/16" ARP bolts. Another thing that helps the older engines is good quality maincap bolts or studs. Solid Roller lifters and springs really aren't all that expensive if you shop around, check out Competition Products for some good prices.

BogiesAnnex1 07-10-2007 01:01 PM


Originally Posted by chevrolet327
can i put a roller cam in a old 1963 small journall 327 and did somebody know if is realy better than a flat tappet cam

I guess all this comes to what are trying to build?

Unless youre racing, such a conversion is expensive and probably doesn't net enough gain against the cost for an aftermarket roller and complication to convert to a factory roller, which will still require expensive after market lifters.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:01 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.