Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (
-   Engine (
-   -   Roller Cam (

erik350 05-12-2003 12:17 PM

Roller Cam
Im tryin to find out if there any modifications you have to do to a motor to switch the cam from a regular hydraulic camshaft to a roller cam . I know you have to change the lifters and rockers. But i read somewhere that the cheapest way to build a roller motor is to have a 84 or after block and the application is easier . So that makes me wander what i would have to do to my 74 motor ...? Clueless . Any comments would help

black66 05-12-2003 07:30 PM

Shorter pushrods also......

Bartman39 05-12-2003 07:38 PM

With a 74 model engine you have 2 different versions of roller lifters... Both have pairs tied together but in two different ways... The purpose is the same which is to keep the lifter from turning in its bore... One type uses a plate that is spring mounted to the tops of the lifters the other has a tie bar mounted on pins on the upper sides of the lifter... Both types are known as tandems... You can run either a roller rocker (preferred) or a std ball type either with roller tip or not... Also "Black66" is correct about the shorter pushrods... But one other very important thing is the valve springs... Roller springs are different from a reg spring so dont try your reg spring just because it looks ok... Best to go with a matched setup... Also are you wanting a hyd roller or solid roller setup...?

corenele 05-12-2003 11:12 PM

dont know much about the newer blocks but i just did my 69 383 just find a roller cam roller lifters get stiffer springs that match cam and a cam button thats it

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:59 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.