Hot Rod Forum banner

roller cam in an non roller block..is it possible?

5K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  jimfulco 
#1 ·
I have in my posession a 1993 K motor out of a K1500 Suburban that I am building to put in my 1969 Nova. My question is I snagged a freebie from a Chevy dealership I was working at in the form of a cam,rocker spring and accessories. Part #12480002 in the GM performance parts division. Will I be able to put this cam in my block using roller lifters and retainers? The block originally had flat tappet lifters. Or will I have to get some retro kit. I also have an R motor block (Vortec) laying around. Should I use the R motor instead of the K motor? Any help here will be greatly appreciated. I am building this motor out of used parts and a very squeaky budget,and I got the cam and 1.6 rockers for free so im anxious to use them.

Thanx all...

#2 ·
Some of the K engines had the bosses for the factory roller cams and even some were already drilled for the bolts (for the hold down alignment hardware for the roller lifters)... The Vortec for sure does have the bosses and are drilled and ready as this is how they came...

#4 ·
That's the GM LT4 "HOT" cam kit. .525" lift with 1.6 rockers, duration @ .050 is 218*/228*, LSA is 112*.

Be sure you use the melonized distributor gear (pn 10456413)with the GM roller cam.

You'll need GM's roller lifter conversion kit (pn 12371042), pushrod kit (pn 12371041), and a timing chain kit (pn 12371043), or equivalent parts from a junkyard 350 or 305 roller motor. Go to www.sdpc2000.com and search out those part numbers for details.

The '93 heads will have to be modified for that much valve lift and possibly for the new valve springs (1.32" diameter). Screw-in rocker studs might also be a good idea.

Check the block to see if it will accept a fuel pump pushrod. Some of the later roller blocks will take a mechanical pump, but not the pushrod that operates it. If not, you'll need an electric pump.

If all this seems too complicated, just send the free cam kit to me. :D

#5 ·

:welcome:
TO jimfulco....
I appreciate your info.. I guess I forgot to mention that I also have the "R" motor heads that will be going on this engine. I may be slow but I aint no dummy..lol. Anyhoo your sayin I will still need a roller conversion kit eh? I will use your advice an check that out. I've built many a small blok in my career but i've never converted a non roller to a roller,so I wanna make sure I dont blow up my motor. Like I said earlier I got a squeaky budget tryin to make my dads dream of having a hot rod Nova vome true. Thanks again for the advice and help.

#6 ·
Might check ebay for used parts. I found some stuff pretty cheap last year, but it's kinda sporadic. GM has some newer-design lifter guides (pn 88958652) that make it possible to change the cam without pulling the intake. They cost $25 but I bet it would be a time-saver.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.