roller cam selection - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2003, 11:39 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

roller cam selection

i have a 355 chevy with 9.5:1 comp
World products s/r torquer heads
speed pro forged pistons(9.7:1 comp. with 64cc I have 67cc) Forged crank,eagle sir I beam rods,
harland sharp roller rockers,
and steel main caps
weiand stealth intake and a 650 speed demon carb.
I have been using a comp cams 268 extreme energy cam and i like it but now that i am throwing a 4 speed in i think i can go a bit bigger on the cam. I found one from comp that has a duration of 236/242 and a lift of .564, .570 the pn is 12-770-8 does any one know if this is a good cam or if i would have piston to valve clearance issues? I know i have to change a few things; lifters, add cam button, push rods, dist gear, possibly fuel pump drive. I do drive this car on the street but not on the highway the 3.70:1 gears dont treat gas too well. I also go to the strip with it often and id like a bit less torque off the line and a bit more a little later. The website says it has a 2200- 6200 range. if any one has a cam that might be better suited let me know I am looking for a mech. roller though. I have all winter to save up for this set up. this is going in a 79 camaro by the way. thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2003, 01:58 AM

Last photo:

>>>Last summer i built a 355 for a friend of mines' 77 vette.
I used the s/r torquer heads also and spent about 2 weeks doing the port work with stainless valves and 10 deg keepers,but i put in a hydraulic cam.Used 625 speed demon with 10.2 to 1 comp and kb hyper pistons and new scat crank with eagle rods. Harland sharp roller rockers, howards pushrodsand an old style torquer intake.4 sp with centerforce dual friction clutch 3.73 gear.

>>>the cams i use r all Howards as ive never had any prob with em and have used em in s/c motors:ie540,555 475,468,388, a couple of TAD motors, a 440 6 pak solid roller street motor and even in some 460 irrigation motors. Plus the fact that they are alot cheaper than anyone else helps alot and the support is great.

>>>Is this going to be street driven? If it is I see a couple of cams that would work

>>>Part#111310-10 2500-6500 .567 .567

adv 286/286 242@.050 110 sep

>>>Part#111133-10 3200-7000 .605 .605

adv 300/310 258/268@.050 110

>>> I like to see a 109 to 111 center instead of the 106 unless u are fighting octane prob as the narrower centers tend to not build cylinder press down low,but i dont think that is the prob here.

>>>If u go with something like this,u will undoubtly go with bigger heads in the future to go with the bigger cam and that is a nother story all together.

>>>Here is the # to call 920-233-5228 ask for robert as he runs the deal and tell him Leon sent u.It only takes a phone call to determine if they r blowing smoke or not and he might come up with a better cam as he custom grinds anything u want.

>>> Its ur choice,but i think u will be pleasently surprised at the willingness to help u get ur comb working right.

>>>Forgot to look at what gear u r running but i imagine it is high 3 or 4:11s

>>> Oops forgot [URL=http://www.howardscams.net]

Last edited by LilSmoke; 10-28-2003 at 01:58 AM.
Old 10-28-2003, 03:27 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

you are doing the right thing to get a mech. roller. i cant help much with your specs tho, but i have a build sheet for a hopped up 383 with afr 190 heads, 9.5 comp., and they used a comp 280 degree mech. roller with .480 lift and got 471hp. hope that's something useful

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.