Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - roller cam vs Hyd. flat tapper cam
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2012, 02:28 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Surfer
Wait hang on a sec...according to that info you posted the life of a flat tappet lifter is 600 miles? I am at work so I don't have time to read all that info you posted yet. But that seems crazy since flat tappets were successfully used since the 1980's. Yes I know the oil formulation has changed, but if Mr Joe Gibbs is touting his awesome sauce oil is good for 600 miles...wow
perhaps you did not get the full gist of his statement. He said that with their oil they were able to double the life of their flat tappet cams from 600 miles and wearing out(without his products), to 1200 miles...When you get time to check the links they used his break in oil on 3 sets of cams then used 3 different oils after the break in period and showed what happened after breakin....The pictures speak for themselves with the amount of wear using the Chevy SPI oil... The lifters look fubar~! That was with only 4 hrs, run time at 4,500rpm~! Then they did it with Synthetic oil and examined the lifters, then with their oil..

Flat tappet Hyd. cams have been used since at least the 60's through the late 80's. And prior to this they drove the cars a zillion miles...Now, according to his site, they are only going to last a short time, even doing oil filter changes every 100 miles, then pulling and changing the oil every 500 miles?
with a life expectancy of only a couple thousand miles? Is this what we have come to? Or am I missing something...I sat and read his site for several hours and finally came to the conclusion a roller was the way to go...Maybe I am missing something...