Roller cams - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2008, 03:10 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Roller cams

How much trouble/money are we talking to convert a 1966 SBC(283) to a roller cam setup? Is it worth it performance wise? This is mainly a street machine.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2008, 05:37 PM

Last photo:

Well I did go roller on my 350 sbc 1st gen block motor. I had three past builds with a comp 292h and a crane engergizer 302h flat tappet cams and they where both really good in my little s-10.

My last built was a 383 and I decided to go back to 350 and went with first off a crane powermax roller with 234/242@50 duration 538/559 lift, but did not have the choppy idle I liked like the last two cams I had. So I went with a comp big mutha thumpr cam and they both do an awesome job for pulling off at idle clear over 6ooorpm plus and you can really feel the torque. I wish I never got the big mutha thumpr roller cam cause it has to much overlap for a racy idle. Comp says for street rods but I disagree with them.

The mutha thumpr is the biggest I would recommend if your going to want something with a rough idle. But the xtreme engery cam the 288hr is a better cam and will give a nice choppy idle but with not too much overlap. Too give you an example I just read a article in a hotrod magazine on comp cams top five best selling cams. The 292h wich is a 244/244@ 50 duration cam 501/501 lift made 2 hp less then the comp thumpr roller cam wich specs out at 227/241@ 50 with 513/ 498 lift. roller cams will always give you an average of 20 horse power over a similar grind of a flat tappet cam. But heads setup and other factors play in how much though too.

Torque is not much of a difference from what I have read anyways. The best benefit is you don't have to break in the cam and don't have to worry about if your going to loose a lobe or not with the zddp being low in oil that they make now. If you can get a chevy 1 piece rear main seal block with oem roller setup go with that. Retro fitting is way expensive. It cost me $500 plus just for lifters. If you go roller make sure you don't overcam your engine like I did just get something that is nice and if you want something of a choppy idle then go with a comp xtreme engergy series.

I wish the zddp additives was good in oil still. I would just use a flat tappet cam if I did not have to worry about losing my motor to wiped lobes. Do a search on chevyhighperformance.com and they have articles on roller conversion. good luck on what decide.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:08 PM

Roller cam

Thanks for the good info it gives me something to work with.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.