roller cams & cast iron cores - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2008, 06:09 PM
eat a beaver, save a tree

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

roller cams & cast iron cores

will a cast core survive like a billet core for a roller cam? i can see the billet cores being repairable, but that would seem to be the only advantage with both being able to use a stock distributor gear (if the billet has the iron gear). will the cast core wear faster than the billet?

i have a chance to get a brand new comp cams small base circle hydraulic roller cam for $175. it is on the cast core. i can get a used lazer std base circle hydraulic roller on a billet core with the iron distributor gear for $160. the specs on both are just about identical. either one would be great for my engine. which should i get? which will last longer?

lazer hydraulic roller (billet core with cast gear)
Adv dur: 293/299
Dur @ .050: 240/246
Valve lift: .559/.552
Lobe sep: 108 degrees
intake c/l 104

comp cams hydraulic roller (cast small base circle core)
Adv: 293/299
dur @.050: 242/248
Lift: 540/562
Lobesep: 110
intake c/l 106

Advertisement

Last edited by 406 ss monte; 05-26-2008 at 06:24 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2008, 06:18 PM

Last photo:

I would get the billet,its stronger than the cast,which is actually an austempered ductile iron,with a hard coating on the top layer.The billet will live longer with heavier valve springs,which,as a general rule,are used with roller cams.Most billet cams made nowadays use an Everwear distributor gear that is pressed on and is compatible with cast gears,or in the case of GM stuff,their melonized distributor gear.
Guy
Old 05-26-2008, 06:42 PM
72NOVA454

Last photo:

I went through that same dilemna just recently. ended up just getting the billet core. It was about $100 extra (cam cost about $300) I learned that was only the beginning. The extra $100 or so for the billet core is no so bad, it's the $500 for the roller lifters and the $100 for the distributor gear, and the $ for the thrust bearing and timing cover and so on.

If you can afford it go with the billet core, but yes you will need a bronze or a wearever distributor gear ($50 and $100 respectively)

I've also had guys telling me they are running aggressive roller cams with cast cores that have 10's of thousands of miles on them and no lobe wear issues. So go figure. It all depends on your setup, breaking in, oil pressure, etc. If you're running strong valve springs (high spring rate) and cheap roller lifters, the billet core would be to your advantage and last longer. If you're running mild valve springs, have good oil pressure, and proper break in the cast cores are just fine.

Last edited by leejoy; 05-27-2008 at 06:08 AM.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:52 PM
The eccentric mind

I wonder if a cast core would survive roller duty in a very low rpm torque application with light valve springs, running factory roller lifters. Hmm.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:18 PM
eat a beaver, save a tree

Last photo:

my springs have 135lbs of seat pressure. good for a solid flat tappet or a hydraulic roller. the cam gear isn't an issue as the billet core have a cast gear so i can use a factory gear.

my springs are whatever the new afr 195 eliminator heads come with. the advertise them to be good up to a .600 lift hydraulic roller or flat tappet.

i do like the comp cams numbers a bit better. plus i wouldn't have to grind any rod bolts, plus i wouldn't need to rebalance everything. i'm just concerned about wear issues with the austempered cast core. i don't know anyone that has used them.

off topic, but why can't we use a gm melonized gear with a comp cams billet cam?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.