Roller or flat? When is a roller needed? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2003, 03:02 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Roller or flat? When is a roller needed?

I'm wondering which valve train to chose for my stroker. I know the advantages of a roller cam setup, quicker valve openings, little bit better torque and hp, lower temps... But when do you need these? Unless you're building something with a pretty aggressive cam with a bunch of HP, do you really need one? I guess my point is, if you can make your HP goal without using a roller setup, what benefit is there to spending the extra cash? Also, I'd like to extend this question to roller rockers. Is there a difference in performance with roller tip or full roller rockers? I've heard and read both yes and no, even on this site. So if you can get all your power with a flat cam and and stamped rockers why not just do it on the cheap?

Opinions?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2003, 03:26 PM
'70 Chevelle '70 C10

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Going roller is not always necessary. Like If I were to build a daily driver or mild street enging flat tappet would be the way to go for reason price. But when you get bigger compression, bigger heads... More airflow you need a bigger cam and bigger springs. Once you get too big with flat tappet cams it gets dangerous. For example I know a guy with a 12:1 383 race motor and he has burnt through flat tappet cams like nothing, It doesn't work trying to put big flat tappet cams in high power/rpm engines the cam lobes can't take the stress and wear off completly off leaving all of the metal in your engine even with the best tappet cam made it will still happen. The guy later switched to roller everything and it's like a new engine picked up a lot of power. In your normal engine you would not have to worry about this happening. I have ran roller motors and flat tappet motors, the roller motors can go double the time between oil changes and the oil is still clean, roller motors rap very fast and turn high rpm without scaring you.

Roller tip rockers don't do anyting IMO, they are just trying to sell you. And on a rather stock engine you don't need either just a stock rocker does fine. I think they are only necessary on more powerful beyond stock engines. It's just that much less friction.. "Valve train HP" If you put roller rockers on a pretty much stock engine you would probably see little to no gains, engines with higher spring pressure and bigger cams will benefit from roller rockers.
Old 11-10-2003, 03:53 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

what he said. as far as i've been able to finger out a roller cam is for more of a sleeper/manageable idle than you can get with a regular cam as hot as the roller. so if it's not that radical of a cam dont spend the extra bucks, just getta hydralic

as far as the roller rockers i disagree somewhat. if you are buying new there isnt much diff in price btwn the rollers and stamped steel so i vote for less friction and more lift like 1:6, but if you are buying a new cam you can get it with the lift you want with stock 1:5's. less friction is always a good thing
Old 11-10-2003, 03:58 PM

Last photo:

One BIG factor IS reduced friction. Most tests done on roller rockers will show somewhere between 10 to 20 horsepower gains. Adding a roller cam and lifters is another gain. Biggest drawback is cost. Roller rockers aren't too bad, but a roller cam and lifters can run $600 easy.

In my book, if you can afford it, go full roller, its worth the extra horses and durability. Hey!! Chevy's been using rollers for years and their engines will go 200,000 easy, and still have a good usuable cam to boot!

Its like looking at a buildable 350 and a 400. Now days, parts are the same price so building the 400 is usually a plus, 50 extra cubes is free horse power.

Mark

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.