Roller Paint Follow Up - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2009, 07:43 AM
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckucia
I'm definitely guilty of spraying the 2k primer w/o much protection.
You should never lower your level of protection when using any of these products. Some of the primers use some very nasty stuff to catalyze, like MEKP.

Vince

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2009, 08:11 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Z28
You should never lower your level of protection when using any of these products. Some of the primers use some very nasty stuff to catalyze, like MEKP.

Vince
Vince, if I am spraying 2 k urethane primer in the garage with doors up, and am wearing a 3M charcoal mask, would this be okay, I have done it before, without problems.
I obviously cannot spray topcaots in the garage because of no proper ventalation system.
I am in the country, my nearest neighbour is a 1/4 mile away, so no issues with that, my garage is detached and away from the house too......Thanx MC
Old 02-11-2009, 08:20 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

there's a reason professional painter wear suits, gloves and hoods. you guys need to do more research and start listening to the guys who do it for a living.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:33 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shine
there's a reason professional painter wear suits, gloves and hoods. you guys need to do more research and start listening to the guys who do it for a living.
Shine I agree with you, I am not painting a whole car, just priming panels, I wear coveralls, a hat, sometimes gloves 3m mask, then shoot a panel with primer, with doors open, on calm days,might prime outside if I have too on super calm summer mornings, I will not try and use 2 k topcoats for a whole vehicle, thats out of the question.
I am not doing it for a living, and after this current project a 47 Mopar Coupe, that will be it for a while.
Thanx for your advice though....MC
Old 02-11-2009, 08:45 AM
SPI Thug

Last photo:

any exposed skin is just as bad a not wearing a mask. does not matter what paint or who makes it. these are dangerous chemical. there is also a reason that the government is trying to stop consumer purchase of it. every board has some guy spraying his stuff in the garage . if you did it next to me i would sue you to the stone age after turning you in. my shop is here on the farm which is at the end of " where the hell are we " road. i'm filtered in and filtered out with a 25 ft stack . i don't want to kill my cows.
it is just a bad idea to do it yourself if not properly set up. you have pets and kids around. think of what this stuff will do to a child with asthma. trade your skill with a painter and let him do his. lot safer.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:00 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Even the hardware store paint has an extensive list of cautions if you read the MSDS..

Sam
Old 02-11-2009, 07:31 PM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar Coupe
Vince, if I am spraying 2 k urethane primer in the garage with doors up, and am wearing a 3M charcoal mask, would this be okay, I have done it before, without problems.
I obviously cannot spray topcaots in the garage because of no proper ventalation system.
I am in the country, my nearest neighbour is a 1/4 mile away, so no issues with that, my garage is detached and away from the house too......Thanx MC
As long as the cartridges are fresh, and you should have any exposed skin covered, even if it's just a long sleeve shirt, and wear protective gloves.

Vince.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:45 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Z28
As long as the cartridges are fresh, and you should have any exposed skin covered, even if it's just a long sleeve shirt, and wear protective gloves.

Vince.
Thanx Vince, I will follow this protocol. I have primed outside in summer on still days, once again no neighbours, no pets, or kids around. It seemed to have no effect on killing the endless skeeters and horseflys we get here in summer
Old 02-12-2009, 01:00 AM
Race The Truck

Last journal entry: Son's Truck
Last photo:

Cool,
That's more like it! I would like to see some more pic's. if you got them on the process.
Even better a u tube vid would be cool to see the process.
As a matter of fact I think all painting process should be demonstrate in this way that would sure be a plus and save a lot of repeat question.

Craig
Old 02-12-2009, 05:05 AM
SPI Thug

Last photo:

mopar , when the end of time has come and gone the skeeters will live off cockroaches which will live off mesquite beans .
Old 02-12-2009, 06:02 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
mopar , when the end of time has come and gone the skeeters will live off cockroaches which will live off mesquite beans .
Not sure why are skeeters are so big,bad, plentiful here, we are not the tropics, but there is a lot of water in this province in Canada, Manitoba has 100000 lakes, we are direclty straight north of Texas, and we get our humid hot weather in summer courtesy of you folks, not that I am complaining.

Oops off topic sorry.........
Old 02-12-2009, 10:29 AM

Last wiki edit: First paint job Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Outdoor paint booth

I built an outdoor paint booth that might be an option for you to use. There were no neighbors down wind so I did not have to worry about that. If you are going to do it, be safe and use the proper equipment.
here is the link for pictures:
http://chris66dad.tripod.com/id24.html
Old 02-12-2009, 01:51 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyTruckGuy
Cool,
That's more like it! I would like to see some more pic's. if you got them on the process.
Even better a u tube vid would be cool to see the process.
As a matter of fact I think all painting process should be demonstrate in this way that would sure be a plus and save a lot of repeat question.

Craig
For pics/video on the process, google "rolling and tipping". You'll probably have to settle with seeing it done on a boat.

I can't verify this, but according to a thread I found, this Camaro was supposedly painted using the rolling/tipping/sanding/buffing method with marine paint. I think they used a single-part polyurethane (Interlux Brightside).

I can't find a direct reference, so like most things on the web, caveat emptor.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:14 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66 Restomod
I built an outdoor paint booth that might be an option for you to use. There were no neighbors down wind so I did not have to worry about that. If you are going to do it, be safe and use the proper equipment.
here is the link for pictures:
http://chris66dad.tripod.com/id24.html
Actually a lot of regular booths are built the same way..only difference is that a regular booth has heat so it can be used year round and is built with permanent materials. We are required to have the exhaust exit thru a vertical stack in order to dissipate the fumes.

As far as rolling and tipping it may work for the fellow using solid colors but if one wants any kind of special effects then it is back to the spray gun..

Sam
Old 02-13-2009, 07:27 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Quote:
,,,any exposed skin is just as bad a not wearing a mask.
A couple weeks back I was shooting epoxy on my sedan/delivery. I wear a full paint suit, gloves, booties and a full hood with piped in fresh air. BUT when I reached up to steady an item I had hanging on a hook, I exposed about 3/4 inch on my wrist between the glove and the suit...and then pulled the trigger. Sure enough, I got my wrist with overspray. And within 60 seconds my ears started to ring and I started to get a little clumsy (these are two symptoms that always effect me first when I'm not well enough protected).

Probably isn't going to kill me, but if I did that too many times, within too short of a time span, it could do some serious damage. The stuff is potent...whether you breath it in or get it on your skin as Shine says.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.