Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Roller rocker arms on a 350 chevy
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2010, 09:37 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70' c10
hey guys i got a 350 with mechanical flat tappet lifters and i was wondering if roller rockers are a logical choice for a once or twice a week driver. how often am i going to have to reset valves if? also what kind of horsepower bump are they gonna give me? thanks!
Roller rockers do not in and of themselves necessitate adjusting the valves. That is a function of using solid lifters. Once you get the valves adjusted for the initial cam break-in, I might expect to set the lash every other oil change for a while. Thing is, once you get it set hot, then you let the motor cool and see where the lash is. Then, every time after that, you can check the lash cold and not have such a mess on your hands.

As far as hp increase, I have seen estimates of 20-25 hp if we are talking about the roller fulcrum/roller tip rockers. If we are talking roller tip and ball/socket fulcrum, I wouldn't walk across the street to get them if they were free.

You could try comparing roller rockers to other performance items to determine whether they are worth the bother. Let's say a cam and kit costs $200 and adds 50 hp. The cost per hp is $4.00. If you change a low-rise intake for a high-rise intake and pick up 40 hp and the cost is $150, then the cost per hp is $3.75. If you install roller rockers at a cost of $225 and they free-up 25 hp, then the cost is $9.00 per hp.