Roller Rocker for Chevy Street Engine? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2011, 07:45 AM
Old Guys Rule!...EVERYTHING!

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Roller Rocker for Chevy Street Engine?

I've got a 427 Chevy I'm up-dating with a better set of heads. I was thinking about using a set of roller rocker on it, but I'm looking at a fairly dated after the market book called "How to Hot Rod Big Block Chevys", and in there it states not to use roller rockers on a street engine because the oiling is not antique. I think this book was published in the mid to late 70's. SO has that situation changed any, the engine is still from that period of time? I do have a high volume oil pump installed. Anybody have any first hand experience?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2011, 11:24 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

If you mean "because the oiling is not adaquate", I will respectfully disagree. There's sufficient oil for the roller element bearings and roller tip, and IMO the roller lifter takes less oil than a ball pivot rocker, anyway. I seem to recall the roller lifter's raison d'etre was to be able to survive a restricted upper end oiling situation in the first place.

PS- Don't take that as a recommendation to use oil restrictors.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:53 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11echo
I've got a 427 Chevy I'm up-dating with a better set of heads. I was thinking about using a set of roller rocker on it, but I'm looking at a fairly dated after the market book called "How to Hot Rod Big Block Chevys", and in there it states not to use roller rockers on a street engine because the oiling is not antique. I think this book was published in the mid to late 70's. SO has that situation changed any, the engine is still from that period of time? I do have a high volume oil pump installed. Anybody have any first hand experience?
This sounds like out of date or miss-printed or miss-understood information. Roller rockers do not require as much lubrication as the factory ball and socket design. So the original Chevy habit of oiling the rocker and spring from the push rod is more than adequate for a street and even a fairly aggressive race engine.

An issue that developed early on was that a recommendation came form a number of builders that the lifter oil supply be reduced with solid lifters thus reducing the oil to the rockers. While this isn't disturbing to the roller parts of the rocker, it had the unintended consequence of cutting the oil flow necessary to valve spring cooling resulting in spring failures which can be quite messy when they let the valve fall into the way of the piston.

So you're fine to use roller rockers and just leave the factory top end oiling as they built it.

Bogie
Old 03-04-2011, 10:54 PM

you will be 100% fine with roller rockers on a street engine, my dad is currentley running a set of cranes on his 396.

But i would recommend Scorpion Rockers, Made in the USA and not noisy like alot of other rockers out there (IE: Crane) and VERY well priced. i think i paid $250CAD for my Self-Aligning SBC rockers.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:43 PM

Last photo:

My experience here is sbc-limited, so take it with a grain. But there's no excuse for NOT replacing stock rockers with full-rollers. They are much easier to adjust and make working on the valvetrain a dream. Like as in being able to fire up the motor with the valve cover off (for a bit) to see first-hand if anything looks fishy without bathing yourself or your headers in oil.

One thing that is an issue with small blocks at least... don't get carried away with the higher-than-stock-ratio rockers. They aren't necessarily plug-n-play. Even if you don't have valve clearance problems, you just might not have adequately slotted pushrod holes in your heads to accommodate them.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:59 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

As mentioned I don`t think you`ll have any problems, and I especially recommend and agree on purchasing quality roller rockers. Getting the cheap ones is not a good idea as you get what you pay for. I love 427`s, and to hear one got grenaded because a cheap roller rocker came apart and filled the engine with roller bearings would be awful to my ears and painful to your wallet.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:16 PM

Last photo:

Lots of good ones out there. In addition to what the others mentioned...I like Harland Sharps.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.