Hot Rod Forum banner

Roller Rocker help

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Docs91RS 
#1 ·
I've got a problem with my roller rockers not clearing the springs on my heads and they are wearing grooves in the rockers :eek: . The heads are a set of Dart Pro 1 230cc heads with 3/8" screw in studs and the springs are 1.550" o.d. and the rockers are a new set of Crane Energizer 1.6's for a sbc.
Does anybody know a set of rockers that will clear the springs? I got on the dart website but didn't find any answers.
Thanks.

#3 ·
Although most manufacturers offer rockers that have the clearence already machined into them in thier more expensive rocker arm lines. I have used scorpian aluminum roller rockers, both 1.5 and 1.6's, on alot of engines where the owner doesnt want to spend the money for cranes or comps. They have the addition clearance machined from the factory like the more expensive ones and I've used them on dart, protopline's and AFR heads without a problem. They seem to have good reputation overall and Ive used them in street/ strip and bracket car applications and so far they hold up as well as the others. I'm not sure I ready to offer them as the first chioce in anything but a street/strip engine, but time will tell. For your application where your already using the crane energizers these will work perfectly. If you want to get them cheap, their are many performance parts suppliers on ebay that offer them at a good price.

Doc

#5 ·
Thanks for the reply's.
I thought about fly cutting them tomorrow (we have a machine shop at work), but I don't want to weaken them at all since I am turning this motor 7200rpm.
If I go with another pair I want to be certain that they will clear because I dropped $200 on these. I can make a call tomorrow to Dart and see if they can recommend some.
Is anybody using some 1.6 rockers on a 1.550 o.d. spring?

#6 ·
Yep, I use 1.6 rockers on 1.550 o.d. springs quite a few times actually. I have a set of the 1.6 scorpions rockers I mentioned in my earlier post on a 383 SBC right now. Its wearing a set of 23 degree pro-topline aluminum heads with 1.550 o.d. springs and has no rocker arm clearance issues. I've used them on the dart pro 1's with the same spring set up without issue. Thier about $180.00 on ebay.

Doc

#7 ·
Grinding them will not cause them to last any less time than using a cheapie rocker at 7200. That's not the weakest point anyway. The weakest point is in the fulcrum area. That rocker bouncing around at 7200 with 370 pounds over the nose at 600' lift can only be expected to last so long. You don't need much to be taken off. In fact, if you radius the inner body closest to the spring and polish afterward I'll bet it'll be stronger than the original casting. Whatever rocker you do get, if you chose that route, ensure it's from billet not cast. Summit brand rocker's are some of the best looking cheapie's I've seen so far.

#9 ·
johnsongrass1 said:
Grinding them will not cause them to last any less time than using a cheapie rocker at 7200. That's not the weakest point anyway. The weakest point is in the fulcrum area. That rocker bouncing around at 7200 with 370 pounds over the nose at 600' lift can only be expected to last so long. You don't need much to be taken off. In fact, if you radius the inner body closest to the spring and polish afterward I'll bet it'll be stronger than the original casting. Whatever rocker you do get, if you chose that route, ensure it's from billet not cast. Summit brand rocker's are some of the best looking cheapie's I've seen so far.
Thanks. I bought a set of Summit's today. :mwink:

#10 ·
Docs91RS said:
Yep, I use 1.6 rockers on 1.550 o.d. springs quite a few times actually. I have a set of the 1.6 scorpions rockers I mentioned in my earlier post on a 383 SBC right now. Its wearing a set of 23 degree pro-topline aluminum heads with 1.550 o.d. springs and has no rocker arm clearance issues. I've used them on the dart pro 1's with the same spring set up without issue. Thier about $180.00 on ebay.

Doc
Using a set of scorpions on my 388 with dart pro 1's with no problems!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.