Thread: roller rockers
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 07:01 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by helrazr3 View Post
hello, can someone tell me the difference between roller tip rockers and full roller rockers
thanks for your time.
rich
Hello Rich, well, I can tell you what I think, but it may not be the same answer that you will get from others.

Most of the heat and friction that is generated by the rocker arm is at the fulcrum, the sliding half-ball arrangement that has been used on Chevys since Ed Cole was a kid. Those fosdick rockers that Comp makes, the ones that use a sliding ball fulcrum and a roller tip are in my opinion, worthless as teets on a boar hog. Again, the heat and friction are in the fulcrum, not the tip. Now, if someone manufactured a rocker that used a roller fulcrum and a conventional tip, I'd recommend them. When properly set up, the rocker tip on a conventional stamped rocker does not slide on the valve tip, it rolls through a movement like the sole of your shoe does on the pavement. Think about it.

I have heard some guys claim a 20 hp improvement from using a roller fulcrum as compared to a sliding ball fulcrum, along with lower oil temps. I cannot confirm nor deny these claims.

I can confirm though, that the ratio of stock, stamped rockers is all over the place and all the ones I have checked have had ratios of less than 1.5:1. If you buy an aftermarket rocker, you will come closer to getting the ratio that is advertised. Scorpion rockers are good quality for the money. If you want the Cadillac of aluminum roller rockers, get a set of Harland Sharp rockers. If you want the best stainless steel stud-mounted roller rocker, pop for the Crower Enduro. Just my opinion, you understand.

Another point, rocker arms is not the place to try to save money on your build.....or any build.

Last edited by techinspector1; 01-23-2013 at 07:18 PM.