Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - roller rockers
Thread: roller rockers
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 08:25 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1 View Post
Those damned things should be against the law and Comp should be ashamed of themselves for deceiving these young kids with them. In my eyes, it's out and out fraud.
My engine builder told me that 25 years ago when I was considering using roller tip rocker arms. That is when I used full roller rocker arms for the first time and incidentally, they were Harland Sharp.

High lift camshafts are required to use high spring loads and must use full roller rocker arms. The reason full roller rocker arms are required is because high spring pressure will smoke the ball fulcrums in the stamped steel rocker arms. They can seize due to lack of oil. The hotter running ball fulcrums also raise the oil temperature.

In the mid-1960s, GM introduced restricted lifter and rocker arm oiling for the SB Chevrolet 327 CI /365 HP FI engines and aftermarket cam grinders were producing more radical camshafts with higher valve lifts and recommended higher valve spring rates. Mr. Gasket introduced grooved rocker balls for the stamped steel rocker arms in order to supply additional oil to the rocker arm ball fulcrums. That helped to lube the rocker ball fulcrums as long as the spring load did not exceed 300 lb.

The reason people use "roller tip" rocker arms is because they are cheap and they do not require poly-locks..

Last edited by MouseFink; 01-24-2013 at 08:33 AM.