roller rockers - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2012, 12:00 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

roller rockers

Hi,
just bought some new compcams roller rockers.the valvetip bearing feels a bit "notchy" they seem all the same does this sound right?
Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2012, 02:38 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

Roller rockers don't actually do anything because they are moving to fast to actually utilize the rolling action. Basically they are just a little stronger. So don't worry about it. If they're all the same it has to be normal. It would be pretty much impossible to get 16 broken rockers in one set.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:34 PM

Thanks for that....peace of mind
Old 08-05-2012, 04:21 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

I believe the Comp Cams instructions say to clean then oil before installing. Regardless of brand I will always soak mine in the motor oil I use in the engine after cleaning - any 'notchy' feeling should then disappear. And yes, that's correct, they don't fully rotate, only move through a small arc instead of sliding like an OEM rocker. If you do a contact test, and you should, to determine if the roller is riding close to the center of the valve tip**, you will see that there is only about 1/16" of contact - which translates into a very small rolling arc of that 3/8-1/2 inch 'wheel'

** This gets you into push rod length checking
Old 08-05-2012, 04:28 PM

Thanks again more great advice from you guys!
Old 08-06-2012, 12:21 PM
More machine than man

Last journal entry: bwaahhaahahaaahhaa
Last photo:

I got a set of Howard's Cams full rollers. Of the full set of 16, 3 of the tips were notchy, I sent them back, they said there was a problem and sent me new ones that are not notchy.

Don't get in a rush. Do it right. Stamped steel rockers are basically indestructible. Rollers have moving parts and are more prone to failure. When a roller rocker grenades, it tends to send all kinds of little parts into your motor. That notchyness, whether or not actually gets used (as Irelands child is saying) is an indication there is a problem and a potential for the needle bearings to wear out and come unglued.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:16 PM

I appreciate your advice,im going to oil them up and see if it smooths out a bit, do you have any indication that the rocker is going to fail or is it sudden I wonder?
Old 08-06-2012, 05:34 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave350v8 View Post
Hi,
just bought some new compcams roller rockers.the valvetip bearing feels a bit "notchy" they seem all the same does this sound right?
Thanks
I'd be concerned, rollers don't roll per se, they rock the bearings back and forth over their trunion shafts (valve or fulcrum) in a manner similar as to how U-Joint's function (back and forth not around and around). If they are notchy already this will only get worse. I'd be worried that these are warranty returns that still aren't right.

Bogie
Old 08-07-2012, 07:42 AM

We've found "notchy" rockers in the past, including the "good" Comps. Usually, washing them in a clean solvent and then "soaking" them in oil will take care of it. It's the pre-lube "preservative" they put on them "bunching up".

Agreed, if after cleaning/oiling, they're still the "same", send them back.

Roller rockers certainly do more than "nothing". They relieve the majority of scrubbing across the top of the valve, significantly reducing "side load" on the valve stem/guide. True roller rockers ("roller" fulcrum) also reduce parasitic loss from that area. Roller-tipped rockers are okay. The Comp "Magnum" series are forgings, not stampings. The "gain" from using the cheaper roller-tipped rockers (including Magnum) comes from the accuracy of the ratio compared to the other rockers in the set. Stamped rockers are plenty "tough", but the ratios can vary as much as .1 across a "set", making cam timing at each cylinder a little "different".

FWIW

Jim
Old 08-07-2012, 10:02 AM

Thanks guys, good info there,will clean them and see how they are!
Old 08-11-2012, 11:14 AM

Just to Thankyou to you guys who suggested solvent and then oiling up rockers nice and smooth now!
Old 08-11-2012, 01:57 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Glad that worked out for you - gotta be a pain to do warranty work in the US from GB
Old 08-11-2012, 03:10 PM
capemorgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog7373 View Post
Roller rockers don't actually do anything because they are moving to fast to actually utilize the rolling action. Basically they are just a little stronger. So don't worry about it. If they're all the same it has to be normal. It would be pretty much impossible to get 16 broken rockers in one set.
Don't count on that! I bought a set of the stamped roller rockers for a big block, and installed them at a friends shop. During the install, we found several retaining nuts had the wrong size thread....it seemed strange, but we continued with the installation. I had about a 50 mile trip home. After about 35 miles a loud ticking, followed by a couple of bangs, and a very rough running engine. Managed to limp home. When the valve covers were pulled, two of the rockers were completely broken off, and half of the others were cracked, and getting ready to fail. I had bought some off brand rockers. Won't do that again! The first clue should have been the wrong size nuts! You, at least have a name brand set, and hopefully they will be OK. If they don't feel right, they just might not be!...just my experience, but as the man says, it SHOULD be pretty much impossible to get 16 defective rockers....but I did.
By the way, I did end up using Comp rollers, and they worked fine. All the other advice, and the soaking is good. It just did not work on the inferior product.

Last edited by kfmorgan; 08-11-2012 at 03:29 PM. Reason: To tell what I ended up using.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:36 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfmorgan View Post
Don't count on that! I bought a set of the stamped roller rockers for a big block, and installed them at a friends shop. During the install, we found several retaining nuts had the wrong size thread....it seemed strange, but we continued with the installation. I had about a 50 mile trip home. After about 35 miles a loud ticking, followed by a couple of bangs, and a very rough running engine. Managed to limp home. When the valve covers were pulled, two of the rockers were completely broken off, and half of the others were cracked, and getting ready to fail. I had bought some off brand rockers. Won't do that again! The first clue should have been the wrong size nuts! You, at least have a name brand set, and hopefully they will be OK. If they don't feel right, they just might not be!...just my experience, but as the man says, it SHOULD be pretty much impossible to get 16 defective rockers....but I did.
By the way, I did end up using Comp rollers, and they worked fine. All the other advice, and the soaking is good. It just did not work on the inferior product.
There are different size rocker studs available. You might have gotten some wrong size nuts with your rockers. Don't all roller rockers use poly locks? That may have been your problem lol

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.