Roller Rockers Question - Roller Pin Coming Out - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2008, 09:12 PM
72NOVA454

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Roller Rockers Question - Roller Pin Coming Out

Help

I've got roller rockers on my chevy big block. I got them from someone else - they might be kind of old. I believe they are Crane Energizer. I noticed today that the pin that holds the rocker tip roller in place are starting to slide outwards a little bit on most of the rockers. I took one of the rockers off and put it in a vice and pressed the pin back in. That worked. I'm running a street roller cam. This is a street application - not drag racing.

I'm wondering though if these will eventually work themselves out and the roller and pin will break free, fall off and get into the crankcase.

Is this common? Do I have anything to worry about?

Should I

1) leave it alone
2) press the pins back in, and reuse them
3) replace the entire rockers with all new ones
4) replace just the pins

thanks.

Lee

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2008, 10:16 PM

Last photo:

Hey Lee,if I were you I would replace them with a set of Crane ProGold rocker arms.If any of those pins come out,the roller tip will fall out,and you will be rebuilding your big block again.I am useing the Crane Gold rockers and they are top quality peices.
Guy
Old 11-23-2008, 10:18 PM

Last photo:

Anything to worry about???? No not really..........unless the pins come out. Why would you even think about it? A new set of Comp Cams Magnum roller tip rockers are only about $145. True, they're not a total "Roller Rocker" but they are GREAT street rocker arms and last forever. I wouldn't run the engine again until I changed them out to even stock stamped units.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:20 AM

Last photo:

yes sir either spend an hr or so replacing the rockers with a new set a couple hundred bucks or start kicking your self in the A++ later when you are rebuilding your the engine... a couple grand.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:57 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: PICTURE TEST
Last photo:

rockers

I have seen a few sets of rockers where that pin was never centered from new. I think it has to do with the fixturing they use when they assemble them.

My questions to you??

Is the pin tight but off center??

The end of the pin thats sticking out of the rocker, Does it have a large chamfer on it compared to the other side???

Keith
Old 11-24-2008, 11:15 AM
72NOVA454

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-star
I have seen a few sets of rockers where that pin was never centered from new. I think it has to do with the fixturing they use when they assemble them.

My questions to you??

Is the pin tight but off center??

The end of the pin thats sticking out of the rocker, Does it have a large chamfer on it compared to the other side???

Keith
The pins are tight, but for how long? When I put the rocker in a vice and pressed the pin back in - it went in easily. Did not take much pressure. That tells me it's going to come out eventually.

Also, I would think that both ends of the pins would be punched or something such that they are "wider" and won't slip out. The pin on my rockers are NOT like that, so they just "walk" right out. It's an accident waiting to happen I guess. Some of the pins were out about 1/8", while others had not moved at all. Most of them had the pins starting to walk out.

I'm going to just buy all new rockers and put this behind me. I've already torn that engine apart once a year ago and don't want to do it again. Too much work. And if one of those pins does fall out there could be catastrophic engine failure as a result. I'll just spend the $250 and get it over with.

Lee
Old 11-24-2008, 11:30 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by leejoy
Help

I've got roller rockers on my chevy big block. I got them from someone else - they might be kind of old. I believe they are Crane Energizer. I noticed today that the pin that holds the rocker tip roller in place are starting to slide outwards a little bit on most of the rockers. I took one of the rockers off and put it in a vice and pressed the pin back in. That worked. I'm running a street roller cam. This is a street application - not drag racing.

I'm wondering though if these will eventually work themselves out and the roller and pin will break free, fall off and get into the crankcase.

Is this common? Do I have anything to worry about?

Should I

1) leave it alone
2) press the pins back in, and reuse them
3) replace the entire rockers with all new ones
4) replace just the pins

thanks.

Lee
Replace them all:

- OK designs swage the ends of the axle, this insures it and the bearings will stay in place, but results in a rocker that isn't rebuildable, at least not easily.

- The best design retains the axle with a Circlip on at least one side with a head on the other or Circlips on both sides. This provides for positive retention and disassembly for maintenance and rebuilding.

- The least desirable design is where the axle is pressed in place. The roller tip is highly loaded; over time the mounting boss deforms allowing the axle to loosen. If it were to come out while the engine is in operation, serious, perhaps fatal, damage will occur to the engine as the wreckage is circulated by the lubrication system. Personally, I would never have a moments peace knowing something like this was in the engine.

Bogie
Old 11-24-2008, 05:51 PM
Horsepower Enthusiast

Last journal entry: Finished BMOD001FH
Last photo:

I purchased a set of Howards Racing Components Roller Rockers for 230 bucks and they were just as good as anything from crane or comp at half the price. This was on a BBC though.
Old 11-27-2008, 12:27 AM

Last photo:

I've seen this also. Purchased rollers from Summit made by Crane. Identical to the Blazer model they used to sell. Many of the pins were not pressed in all the way. I sent 3 back to Summit & the ones they sent to replace those were the same. Sent them back again & got the exact same? So I just pressed them in myself. Never had a problem with them getting loose, but may be a good time to check them.
Old 11-27-2008, 12:52 AM
I put up the tools against$300

Last photo:

Press the pin in and use a center punch to divet the edge of the pin hole, two on each side. Don't bend the arm. Go to the summit site immediately after that and order new rockers.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.