Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Roller Rockers vs stock..
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2010, 08:43 PM
Visit the NASCAR Hall of Fame

Wiki Edits: 0

cheapest way to stay in 87 octane IMHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Buck
Here's the problem I keep running into: if I bring quench to something acceptable I drive CR up.
Can someone give me a geneal idea of the max "safe" CR for this combination running plain old 87 octane?

Also, from a straight cost standpoint, is it cheaper to buy new pistons or have the block zero-decked?
If you don't want to bore and buy pistons, it would be cheaper to deck. If you buy pistons for your existing bore which have the correct pin height (CH), the top ring will travel past the wear ridge, whether visible or not. Your existing bore/build would have to be very low mileage for me to feel good about a new top ring passing that point.

IMO I would take it down, deck the block .025ish and have the intake surface on the heads cut /012" for every .010 off the deck. Might be hard to find a shop who can do that on Vortec heads, because of the configuration, but easy to find a shop who can take it off the intake.. $150.00 around here.

With your CR you could go to a decent set of 993s and get all the juice a low cr 327 has. Probably cheaper than vortec and easy to find. Not prone to cracking and also 75cc. They flow very well when window matched and cleaned up, and allow a good quench and lower compression to where you want it. I buy every 993 set I see at the core supply.