Roller vortec 355 build questions - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2011, 10:48 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Roller vortec 355 build questions

Hi, after taking a plain jane 350 2 bolt to the machine shop that was supposed to be a new rebuild and found it needed a full rebuild (350 machine shop questions) I have decided to go with a 92 roller block as a start as it would be better build and i wont have to deal with the flat tappet nightmares. The block will need some machining but it looks good overall. So far this is what my build is looking like and im looking for suggestions

92 roller 350
xr276h cam? xr282hr?
vortec heads that are decked and have guides cut
weiand air gap intake (2000-6500)
msd streetfire distributor
edelbrock 1406 600cfm (too small?)
2800 stall
3.73 gears
4000lb truck

This will be a daily driven truck and will make it to the strip a couple times. Id like to make power up to or past 6k rpms. I want to run pump gas so my builder suggested 15cc dished pistons, does that sound right? and should i go with basic cast pistons or some keith black hypereutectics? what springs should i run? any other suggestions? thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2011, 11:22 AM
Veteran/Firefighter-EMT-I CRT

since you dont have the parts yet, and this is going into a truck that will be driven on a regular basis, i strongly suggest doing a 383. the cost difference between a 350 and a 383 is relitively nothing. if you have to buy a crank then a 3.48" (350 crank) and a 3.75" (400 crank) cost the same amount (give or take $20.00) they both use 5.7 rods, and you will spend just as much money on a 350 piston as you will a 383 piston (the only difference will be the 383 piston will have a shorter compression height). so far the price is the same. the only problem you may run into is having to have your machinest clearance the rods, which shouldn't cost you more than $100.00. you wont gain a ton of horsepower but you will gain quite a bit of tq, which is what makes a street vehicle fun to drive.

here is what i would do.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ESP-B13004L03053/
this kit comes with KB hyper D dish 18cc pistons which with a 64cc combustion chamber and proper quench will put you at 9.5-9.6:1
use in between a .026-.030" (4.060-4.125") head gasket
the XR276 cam would be very good, call comp and ask what springs are recomended for the cam.
these lifters would do fine http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-12499225/
make sure that your intake is compatable with the vortec bolt pattern, they make specific intake for these
save the extra $85.00 and buy this distributor http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-S...item4cebacda9f (we have done comparisons between this distributor and the MSD street fire and found them to be exactly the same, i am convinced that they are even made at the same manufacturing plant by the same people, it's just you pay the extra 85.00 for the MSD sticker. i have been using on on my 500+hp street/strip 383 for 2 years now with no problems, and before that i used one on a roller 383 in a 87' K-5 blazer i had for 5 years with no problems)

what ever you do dont fall for the Comp roller tip rockers, either go with full rollers or go with long slot stamp steel, you will need self adjusting rockers with the vortec heads.

i would go with a 3310 Holley 750 carb http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Holle...item3a6629a337

and a simple stock water pump, and stock oil pump and pan. you will save some money this way and still end up with a great truck engine that should make around 400hp/ 450tq
Old 05-20-2011, 04:07 PM

Last photo:

Thank you very much for the input. I wanted badly to do the 383 because i can clearance the block and rods myself as im a machinist. Although, this block is a 2 bolt and i really dont trust it with a stroker crank, correct me if im wrong. And i actually do have a 1pc rear main crank already so i was planning on using that unless a 2bolt will work. Im assuming the crank would have to be a 400 with a 1pc rear which would lead me to aftermarket as you suggested and i dont want to buy a stroker kit because this is somewhat on a budget. The only parts i dont have are the pistons, cam, and springs. Stall converter will come same time motor is going in so whatever stall is neccesary for the cam, i will get. Sorry i shouldve mentioned that i do have most parts. I probably will go with that carb or a similar one. Thanks!
Old 05-20-2011, 04:12 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

I like how it looks as is. If this isn`t something you plan on hauling anything other than ***, then I`d stick with the 350. The only thing I`d change would be to get a intake that allows the use for a Quadrajet which is the ideal street carb.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:00 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the input. I dont really want to change the intake manifold though because it cost me 250 a couple months ago. im assuming you meant it has a different bolt pattern?
Old 05-20-2011, 06:09 PM
More dogs than bones

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:

The truck has more planned engine than mine. My 85 truck is a 305 with Vortec 906 heads, performer V intake and 420/442 cam. Works smoothly with a TH350 C and 3.73 rear with 28" tires. Great downshifts that will snap a neck, and work with the secondaries. After you are cruising 65 after 1-2-3 , a dash switch locks up for a extra 200 rpm drop. The TCI governor kit has blue and yellow springs with wts 3 and 5 , to get 4750rpm shifts points. Mileage is about 17 mpg on flat land , at 65mph, with no hills. Has 2 switchable 18 gal tanks.

Nobody would expect this is a 305. This was done becaue the 305 was fresh and was adding junkyard parts.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:32 PM

Last photo:

Just about all aftermarket intakes come with the 2 basic bolt patterns. What changes is the flange. A Quadrajet is a spread bore carb. Meaning the secondarys are huge and the primary`s small. A square bore carb like a holley or edelbrock uses the same size primary and secondary`s. A holley or a Quadrajet will bolt on to a spread bore pattern without the use or need of a adapter plate. A square bore flange only accepts square bore carbs. While the spread bore carb will bolt on to the square bore flange the secondary`s wouldn`t be able to open.
Old 05-21-2011, 06:33 PM

Last photo:

okay, i might look into a qjet. I hate the edelbrock and im pretty positive its too small. Any thoughts on a predator 6000 carb?
Old 05-23-2011, 03:23 PM

Last photo:

will cast pistons work alright? im thinking it should be around or close to 400hp so idk if cast pistons will work alright...
Old 05-23-2011, 07:42 PM
More dogs than bones

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:

Choose one carb style , Qjet , Holley , Edelbrock AFB , AVS , TermoQuad, waterever. Get to know it really well. You can buy the SA design carb books or cliffs for under 4 at thriftbooks.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:41 PM

Last photo:

okay thanks, i think thats a very good idea cause carbs are pretty foreign to me. Any input on whether or not cast pistons would work okay with my combo? this motor will be beat on a little bit
Old 05-31-2011, 05:28 PM

Last photo:

Okay, i will be going with keith black hypereutectics with a 15cc dish. Just got my motor back from the machine shop and am more than satisfied with the work done to the block, crank and heads. What would u guys recommend for main and rod bearings? This will be a street strip truck and be beat on occasionally. The rods and mains are 20 under. Any suggestions on piston rings also for my application? 30 over. Thanks in advance
Old 06-01-2011, 11:38 AM

Last photo:

I use Clevite 77 bearings. But I have used plain Federal Moguls and had excellant service out of both. If it`s a street machine then I would use cast iron rings as Moly rings require a certain bore finish. When you get your block back, clean it. Scrub the bores with a strong soap and a toilet brush. Hone grit impregnates itself in the bores and it can be hard to get out. Once you believe them to be clean, spray WD40 on a paper towel, if you see gray on the towel the bores not clean.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:26 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Also make sure you mock it up before you do your final assembly/wash. Chances are you're going to have to do some clearancing so don't go crazy torqueing everything down or installing the rings just to have to take it all apart.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:41 PM

Last photo:

thanks double vision, i think im gonna be getting the 77's. I will definitely be going through and cleaning everything

enginezcar, what may need clearancing? this is my first complete build so im still learning and want to know everything before i put it together. Thanks

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.