Hot Rod Forum banner

rolling on epoxy primer

8K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  joeschmo 
#1 ·
I know this may sound stupid, but im 16 and dont have much cash, is it possible to use those foam rollers and epoxy prime my vehicle? would it look like absolute crap? or would an electric spray gun be better i only have those two options? also is there any tips before priming, ive got the laquer to clean off the access dust and grime but should i heat up the metal or anything like that? btw im using nason epoxy primer

one last thing how much cfm would be adequate to use a spray gun?

#2 ·
Joe, you answered your own question, it would look like crap. If you had a lot of experiance doing a whole car with a roller would look REALLY bad. With no experiance, it would look like steaming piles of crap.

CFM, you need about 10-15 for most guns. There are a few the require less but they are also more expensive guns.

Don't wipe the car down with lacquer thinner. There are "wax and grease removers" for that. They are much less harsh and slower evaporating so you can wipe the surface dry taking all the contaiminants with it.

Is there any "occupational" program at a near buy school that would have a body shop? I have a full blown body shop at a high school in town, could there be something like that?

The last question, why are you needing to epoxy prime the whole car? That is usually not needed unless it is being stripped or something.

Brian

#3 ·
theres is a bunch of rust holes in it and im stripping down the whole car. That is what i meant i bought wax and grease remover... i just couldnt remember off hand, i guess i wont be able to afford a compressor, but what about an electric air gun?

#4 ·
What is wrong with this picture Joe, Electricity and flamable liquids? No, you are out of luck.

Joe, first lets again start over. You are stripping the car, does every panel need to be stripped? And have you stripped it, or you just planning?

Stripping the whole car at one time is EXTREMELY overwhelming. So if you are going to strip it, do one panel at a time.

There is one possiblility, Rubberseal has an epoxy in an aerosol can. A REAL epoxy. It would be expensive as heck, you could get a compressor for what it would probably cost but it is doable. They are about 20 bucks a can and one can would probably get you one panel in primer. Anyway you look at it we are talking 15-20 cans minimum.

Have you exhausted all your possibilities at getting it into a shop for trade or something? Maybe there is a shop in town you could use the booth and you trade them for doing some clean up around the shop or something like that?

Brian

#7 ·
don't think so for the epoxy but on a tv show I believe they put the high buildup primer with a roller, its going to be sanded down anyway. I have never tried it. Occupational schools are the way to go, have taken them for autobody, machining and my trade in air cond. and welding. When your young is the time to do it. I got the basics there and moved on. When my boy was old enough we took autobody together and finished up his 70 chevy shortbed pu and we worked hard and long hours but he was able to sell it at a big profit for his next project. Ed ke6bnl

#8 ·
joeschmo said:
forgot to mention, i am detailing at a body shop right now and am going ot apprentice in the summer.spring. I just started there and i do not want to ask them to use the booths until i have worked there for a couple months.
What are you working on? Something older that needs to be stripped? Can you do one panel at a time and have one of the bodymen shoot the primer during lunch or after hours? Most epoxies can be brushed if needed but longer flash times are needed between coats and you'll definately have brush marks. I occasionally brush a patched area for temporary protection-never had any problems... but I'd never consider brushing a whole car :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.