Rolls & pleats - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2013, 03:17 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

The piping tin is nothing more than a "C" shaped curved section, and a flat section with turned up sides (shaped like ] ). The curved section slips over the flat section with the filling material in between. When the two pieces are put together, it would have a shape like a "D" laid on its side. Obviously you push the whole thing into the pleat and then pull out each half separately.

The padding may be bonded cotton in the original.

Advertisement

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 01-24-2013 at 07:23 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 05:07 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Rolls & pleats

Many thanks for the info, Dan. I discovered a couple minor errors in my patterns, I'll correct them & try again. I'm hoping I can pull the stitches & start again, I used 6 per inch.When I made the tins, it was basicly 2 flat pieces, & there was too much friction along the sides, so I had difficulty pushing them in. Some new ones like you're saying may be the answer.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:15 PM

Last photo:

Rolls & pleats

Dan; Do you think kapoc would be a good filler for pleats? Where to get?
Old 01-24-2013, 05:01 AM

Last photo:

Rolls & pleats

Beachbum;
I was reading back & looked at your post. Your seat is similar to mine, & less complicated. A very nice job indeed! I discovered on mine, the bolster on top doesnt have the curve on it like the original, so thats one of the reasons for the poor fit. I'm going to make a new bolster, shorten the cover & back a bit, pull the stitches, & try again. I have a few questions if you dont mind. Did you do the pleats the old fashioned way? If so, what did you stuff them with? How did you overcome the problem of sewing the welt cord across the stuffed pleats? Somewhere in the previous posts, I think it may have been Dan, it said to make the cover bigger, stuff it, draw the finished line on it, sew on the welt cord, then cut it to the line. That way you would have better support on either side of the welt rather than it wandering off the edge. What think?
Old 01-24-2013, 07:41 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebob37 View Post
Dan; Do you think kapoc would be a good filler for pleats? Where to get?
If I were you, I'd check out the synthetic filling materials available, like DuPont Comforel, or Silk Fill. If it was me, I'd find a way to fill the pleats with foam so they were more consistent. Look at this thread:

Tuck and roll tutorial

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 01-24-2013 at 07:57 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:45 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebob37 View Post
Beachbum;
I was reading back & looked at your post. Your seat is similar to mine, & less complicated. A very nice job indeed! I discovered on mine, the bolster on top doesnt have the curve on it like the original, so thats one of the reasons for the poor fit. I'm going to make a new bolster, shorten the cover & back a bit, pull the stitches, & try again. I have a few questions if you dont mind. Did you do the pleats the old fashioned way? If so, what did you stuff them with? How did you overcome the problem of sewing the welt cord across the stuffed pleats? Somewhere in the previous posts, I think it may have been Dan, it said to make the cover bigger, stuff it, draw the finished line on it, sew on the welt cord, then cut it to the line. That way you would have better support on either side of the welt rather than it wandering off the edge. What think?
No, that wasn't me. I said to sew the top end shut on your pleats as close to the outside edge as possible, and then sew another stitch line in 1/4" BEFORE you fill the pleats. That will keep the filling material away from the area you want to sew the welt onto.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:21 PM

Last photo:

Joebob... I did that seat the new cheater way using sew foam. Dans tutorial on Tuck and Roll is excellent. In order to get the look your seat needs it will need to be done like Dan explains it. Recovering those seats is gonna be really tricky!!!
Old 01-24-2013, 02:37 PM

Last photo:

Rolls & pleats

Dan; I saw your excellent tutorial, I read it a number of times & always found something new. Using foam mite be worth looking into. Rite now I'm going to pull stitches, make a new bolster pattern, & make the front & back a little smaller, I'm thinking bout 1/2" off each side of cover & back, what think?
The bolster on the original had a curve on the top, which I missed, that was part of the prob it was so ill fitting. What about kapok, any good?
Old 01-25-2013, 08:13 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

When patterning the front of the seat back and the seat bottom, the backing for the stitching that holds the pleats has to fit the seat frame. Once that is the correct size, you can do anything you want to the seat covers. Is there foam on the seats, or is it just cotton? If it's cotton, I would replace it with foam. You will get a much better finished product that way.

Old 01-26-2013, 04:41 AM

Last photo:

Rolls & pleats

Dan; I fit my paper patern to the other seat, & it checks OK, however, I'm thinking about shortening the width by maybe 1" (1/2" off each dide), & making a new bolster w/ the proper curve on top. I discovered when I took the dtitches out, there was a small area that was cut because of 2 thread passes over each other. I put 1/4" foam on the back of the seat. The front is 2" of foam w/ a 40 oz. jute cover, & cotton stuffed around the perimiter to fill out the edge. I also put a narrow strip of 40oz. jute under the bolster in hopes of filling it out better. I'm undecided whether to shorten it yet. I also have a choice of stiffer molded welt, or some softer I made. What think?
The Following User Says Thank You to joebob37 For This Useful Post:
AJL Electronics (10-13-2013)

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.