Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Rolls Royce Chev Conversion
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2013, 07:23 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Rolls Royce Chev Conversion

Greetings Gurus from Down Under
I have a 69 Rolls Silver Shadow that I've been collecting parts for to convert to a GM ZZ383. Plan is to hook it up to a GM cased Turbo 400 so that I can retain the electric shift of the Rolls version of the Turbo 400.
At the present moment I'm planning out what to do with the Rolls braking system. Rolls Royce use a similar power boosted hydraulic brake system as the early citroens where a couple of camshaft driven hydraulic pumps charge nitrogen filled spheres. This stored pressure is then diverted to the dual front twin piston calipers as well as the rear 6 piston units when the break pedal is depressed giving you your braking system.
Of course changing engine to a small block looses these pumps so hence I'm looking for advice on anyone that has undertaken such a swap so that I can retain as much as the Rolls System as possible.
My initial thoughts as follows:
1. Use a Citroen DS hydraulic pump (belt driven) and plumb this up to the Rolls Royce accumulators, retaining the rest of the braking system as std. Theoretically the DS system works at the same pressure and also uses the same type of brake fluid.
2. Ditch the Rolls pressure system and set up an underfloor master cylinder with remote mounted VH44 type booster and plumb this up to the standard Rolls calipers. Understand that the Rolls Calipers have huge pistons so sleeving down the caliper bores to a smaller size so that adequate feel and travel of the brake pedal is achieved.
Apologies for the long post but just looking for any feedback from anyone that has some ideas on sorting the brakes.
Cheers

Last edited by Rollzz; 06-27-2013 at 07:37 AM.