Hot Rod Forum banner

Roof

3K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  lowstreet 
#1 ·
My 71 nova has a sunroof (I hate it a lot) and I plan on getting it taken care of eventually by either doing it myself through the autobody classes at my community college or taking it to someone to be done professionally. I want to put an entire donor roof on the car by taking it off and reattaching it at the window posts where the factory originally attached the roof. I found a 74 roof in good condition at the bone yard and was wondering if anyone knows if they are different? I checked http://rmcavoy.freeshell.org/nova_parts.html
and from there I cannot tell there will be any difference. Both the 71 and 74 are in the same generation, so I don't think there will be any problem. I just wanted to try and confirm this before I go and chop the roof off and buy it and then bring it home. How far down on the posts should I cut the roof off at? I was thinking almost flush with the body so I have enough room to "play with" incase some of the post need to be re-used.

Regards,
Dennis

#3 ·
I believe those roofs are the same as long as one isn't a hatch back of course. And I think you really shouldn't cut the roof at the posts at all. Just drill out all the spot welds holding the roof on that are in the gutters and pinch welds under the tops of the windshield and the back glass and just replace the skin.

Brian

#6 ·
Crazy, believe me, I do this stuff for a living. Even the most skilled, master of metal couldn't even come close to filling that hole in the time one could swap the roof skin. Swapping the roof skin is a VERY easy operation requiring very little skill. All it takes is time.

Brian

#8 ·
MARTINSR said:
Crazy, believe me, I do this stuff for a living. Even the most skilled, master of metal couldn't even come close to filling that hole in the time one could swap the roof skin. Swapping the roof skin is a VERY easy operation requiring very little skill. All it takes is time.

Brian
Brian,
I do agree changing the roof over would be easier and faster for someone with experience. My opion though for someone with no experience cutting off a roof Vrs making a fill panel to fit. I think alot of bondo would be better then hacking up a roof swap or worse yet frustration and windows that wont fit, glass seal etc.
I have filled sun roof holes without skinning an entire roof. All I did was find a donor if the area I needed was good and cut it out. Made a cardboard template orig the hole and transfered the cut. Then I had a filler panel that was the exact size of the hole. Then I ran a strip of metal around the inside of the roof and bonded it to the orig roof. After 24 hrs I came back and cleaned the bonding ooze and ran a fresh coat on the other side of the lip and layed the filler panel in. The next day removed the weights I put in the panel and hit it with a wiz weel to clean off the ozed glue. DA'ed it and epoxied it, skim coat of mudd and poof the patch was gone. 3 coats of 2k and sprayed it. Never saw it was there. Maby i got lucky but it worked like a champ. I probably have to much faith in panel bonding adhesive too lol

#9 ·
No where did I suggest cutting the roof off at the pillars, that would be better left to someone with experiance. However, removing JUST the skin as I suggested is a very easy process that a newbe could do. And it would require much less skill than filling that hole in the middle of a large piece of sheet metal.

That is all my opinion of course.

Brian

#10 ·
Sorry Brian,
I misunder stood. I thought you were refrencing roof replacement not just skin replacement, guess it falls back to "read twice and type once" on my part.
I still am leary of someone who never did any skinning trying it on their own without someone there who has done it before. But like the wife says I worry to much..lol

#12 · (Edited)
LOL, Crazy, I was thinking about this on the way home from work and I have to agree with your method being a very good way to do this.

I have seen where people have skinned their roofs and pulled it off pretty well. The thing is, ANYONE (well almost) could drill out ONE spot weld. And all that is holding that roof on is a few hundred more. Well, at the quarter there will be a little more work but I have seen lots of newbes pull it off.

Here is a thread on the subject over at Chevelles.com http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141105&highlight=roof+skin

However, I was thinking bonding a skin into place would be a pretty good alternative. Replacing the skin would be the "Best" way, but bonding the skin into the hole as you describe is likely the "Bestest" way for Dennis.

Brian

#15 ·
I am thinking that replacing the roof skin would be a very good learning experience if overseen by experienced instructors. I also think such instructors would probably take a dim view of bonding in a replacement patch, since it's not really an "official" or "approved" repair method.

#16 ·
I would just cut A roof skin off of A donor car and then
trim yours off as close to the rails as possible.(leave about 1 inch all the way
around).
Then lay the donor up on top and tack it in place.
when welding make certain that you do not warp it.
Grind the weld and use A thin coat of bondo for contour.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.