Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - The Roofus Special
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2009, 07:48 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipper_1938
Has anybody here ever built a car from scratch with no real plans? ....given yourself true artistic liberty?
You're doing great on your own here so I hesitate to even answer your question but yes, there are some scratch builders here on HR.Com. If you haven't seen these creations and you have a bit of spare time when you can get away from your own work, you can take a look.

This early 30's style body was scratch built by Rob (Chuck) Berry using the same method you have used...cutting and welding existing body panels to make something totally different. His journal is not too detailed but it is here.

Here's a great thread on New Interiors' scratcher. He used a different method, forming each body panel from new sheet metal.

Here's a thread following the step by step build of "ironman's" project. He uses a combination of techniques, creating some panels new from some idea in his head and then incorporating existing parts, like grill shells etc.

More of ironman's work.

Another one by ironman.

And a couple of my own here and here.

I'm sure I missed a number of projects that are completed or in the works, but this will at least let you know there are others who have struggled with many of the same challenges you are are dealing with in your build. As I noted above, you appear to be doing just great coming up with your own novel approaches to things...so just keep banging away with your own ideas and we'll all lean something new.