Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - The Roofus Special
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2009, 07:23 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipper_1938
... do you guys think that the top of the hood and cowl should be peaked, curved, or flat down the center?
Scrim is right. Virtually every body panel needs to have some sort of crown or curve to it. Our eyes can play funny tricks on us. An absolutely flat panel will actually appear concave once it is painted...just as Scrim has noted. Also, a panel which might appear absolutely flat to you and me on any factory vehicle, will no doubt have some crown or curve to it. You can test this quite easily be just laying a 3 or 4 foot straight edge over the surface of any panel on a car. There are crowns all over the place that might totally go undetected by the human eye.

And has already been pointed out, curved or crowned panels also resist wind deflection and oil canning better than flat panels as well as being a bit stronger than flat panels. And, well, they just look more "professional" than flat panels. So wherever you can, I would incorporate a crown or curve in your metal work.

Keep up the progress reports. I really appreciate the fact that you are showing us all the "struggle" that goes into building something from scratch like this...and how you have to sort of go in fits and starts. Fabricating one piece only to discover that another completed piece now needs to be altered or totally rebuilt in order make the overall look just right. Or at least just right in the builder's eyes. It can be a frustrating yet exhilarating experience all at the same time and you seem to have the right mental (and metal) attitude for the project.