Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - The Roofus Special
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2009, 07:52 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipper_1938
It is hard to find anybody local that I can carry on an actual conversation with about this car..... Even die hard car people have problems with not starting with the cowl off of a real car....or a "real frame"
Judging by the number of "looks" this thread has gotten, it appears LOTS of folks are interested in carrying on a conversation about your project. So you are in the right place. And guys like Scrim and New Interiors, with their scratch building experience, can be invaluable when you run into problems or roadblocks. (BTW Scrim, GREAT fitment work on the hood and side panels meeting the grill shell in the pictures above.)

And Flipper is right about even hard core rodders expressing disbelief that a body can actually be built from a pile of rubble. I think a part of that has to do with the long standing misconception that metal fabrication is a mysterious and exotic art form that requires hugely expensive tools and years of training and skills. While there is no doubt that good metal fabricators are in a category all their own, I am convinced that the average hot rodder, using some very basic tools and a little ingenuity, can create a perfectly respectable looking body. And do it within a reasonable period of time and with a reasonable impact on their checkbook.

It may not win a Riddler Award. And if may not even take home a trophy from their little local car show. But it can be a fun, safe, eye catching hoot to own and drive.

And the more examples we have of body fabrication (like this very thread), the more we will see other hot rodders pick up a hammer to take a shot at it themselves. And the more rodders we have experimenting with body fabrication, the more great creations we are going to see emerge.

You will probably never know the exact number of rodders you have influenced and encouraged just by posting up this thread and showing us the real nitty gritty of your work. A dozen. Two dozen. Perhaps even 30 or 40 over time. But just imagine each of them now fabricating the dream car that has been bouncing around in THEIR head. And then THAT car being seen by another 30 or 40 who might pick up the hammer themselves. And on and on it goes.

So keep up your efforts. You're in the right place.