Actually mounting the steering rack was one of things that I somewhat dreaded doing.
The arched front crossmember looked cool, but was not a very friendly location for clamping down the rack. But it was something that had to be done. ...so I did it.
The plan was to mount it with two clamps. One clamp would control front to back and sis to side posioning. The other would just be front to back.
Once again, the raw materials were junk from the barn. I think this piece of heavy wall tubing used to be a physical therapy machine that dad bought cheap at an auction (for the metal).
I decided to use 7/16 bolts for mounting it. He I am checking to see if I have room for these nuts. I ended up welding the nuts to the underside of the mounting bracket.
Here it is welded to the saddle that the rack tube rests in.
Now the other side of the saddle is tied to the crossmember
Even though this was some pretty heavy material, I gusseted one of the sides.