The Roofus Special - Page 14 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Projects/Builds/My Ride
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2010, 07:30 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks for the link to the article. I hope I am that acative at 84!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2010, 08:47 PM

Last photo:

I played with the front end some more. I thought I wanted a t-bucket type spring perch to mount the front srping and a seperate crossmember down low to mount the rack and pinion. I was planning on making a splash apron below the the spring crossmember to hide the rack.

The piece pictured was 2x4. It seeme too bulky so I grabbed a piece of 2x3 and trimmed it to fit between the frame rails. I didn't bother taking pics. It just looked wrong. The straight line going across the front of the car did not play well fith the swoop shapes.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:48 PM

Last photo:

So I scrounged around the various junk piles and pulled out a 4x4 transfercase crossmember out of a WW2 era Dodge ambulance (everybody has one of those right?). It kinda looked like a model T rear spring perch, but was way bigger. I cut a piece out of the middle and tried it on for size.

It is going to span between the lower a-arms and the spring will be mounted above the crossmember.

Here it is mocked up, centered under the spring.

Old 04-25-2010, 08:49 PM

Last photo:

I also tried it slid forward and rearward to see what grabbed me. (The gray piece in the pic is the 2x3 crossmember I tried. I tried it mound on top of the upper frame rails and also from the bottom side of the upper frame rails...it just looked wrong)

Forward

Rearward

I liked it best slid to the rear.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:49 PM

Last photo:

So now that I had an idea of how the spring was going to be attached, I neede to sort out where everything else was going to be.

The radiator is a pretty important piece...so I threw it into the mock-up.

Just adding the radiator made it look more like a car.

...But the radiator that far back just didn't look right.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:50 PM

Last photo:

I scooted the motor forward so that the radiator was right behind the leaf spring ....where it would be if I do the upright grill shell like a Rally.

Old 04-25-2010, 08:51 PM

Last photo:

What do you know? The motor is back ahead of the "firewall" again. ....where it was last year!

Foot room is much nicer....again!

Just to make sure that moving the radiator closer to the spring didn't change which perch location looked best...I mocked stuff up the other ways again.

Rearward still looks best to me.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:52 PM

Last photo:

So now that I know where the radiator goes. Time to try and squeeze in the rack.

The good thing about the wide spring crossmember is that I think I can hide the rack and pinion under it.

The rack needs to go 3.5 inches forward of where it is pictured here. It will pretty much be under the radiator.

proposed cut outs

from the side

Now the REALLY fun part. Trying to figure out how to put it all together where I can pull the steering back out at a later date if I have to.

The original idea was to mount the rack on its own crossmember and the bolt the spring crossmember over the rack.

Then I thought about mounting the rack to the underside of the spring crossmember and bolting both down as a unit.

Now I'm trying tofigure out how to fish the rack into the crossmember if the crossmeber was welded in (I really want to weld it so that I can gusset up to the upper framerails next to the radiator).

That's where I am for now. I still have some more thinking to do.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:52 PM

Last photo:

Oops. I forgot to post the pics with the a-arms in the mock up.

and the passenger side arm turned upside down as a pretend upper a-arm

Old 04-25-2010, 08:53 PM

Last photo:

And a few more "car" pics.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:11 AM

Last photo:

I need help figuring out what to do next on the front end.

My problem is figuring out how to tie the dodge crossmember into the upper framerails, they need some side to side reinforcement in that general area.

The thing that compicates matters for me is that now I am leaning towards going with an upright grill shell like the little french cars...not an exact copy, but something with that vibe. There will be a space between the frame rails and the grill that will be visible. Like on this car.

The radiator and steering are right where I think I need a big beefy, pretty brace.

Anybody have any ideas for what the crossmember reinforcement/upper rail tie-in should look like? (sketches would be wonderful)
Old 05-01-2010, 10:05 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,161 Times in 1,024 Posts
I don't have any suggestions for you, but damn those cars you posted are HOT. Those cars stop me in my tracks, what an amazing look they have.

On your crossmember I only know it doesn't have to be that pleasing to the eye being you can cover it up with one of those cool front aprons.

Brian
Old 05-02-2010, 06:52 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
I don't have any suggestions for you, but damn those cars you posted are HOT. Those cars stop me in my tracks, what an amazing look they have.

On your crossmember I only know it doesn't have to be that pleasing to the eye being you can cover it up with one of those cool front aprons.

Brian

I'm pretty sure it is the black car from the picture I posted on the first page.

Here are better pics of the blue one.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:16 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,161 Times in 1,024 Posts
They are a study of art, the art of the automobile. They are PERFECT in everyway, perfect porportioned, they are balanced. They could hang on the wall in a museum next to the great paintings or sculptures.

Beautiful, just beautiful.

The thing is, can one get the same thing without those wheels? I am not sure, change the wheels on those cars and they are completely different. Can you do it successfully? I don't know, roll it out side and lets get a look at it.

Brian
Old 05-02-2010, 11:41 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
They are a study of art, the art of the automobile. They are PERFECT in everyway, perfect porportioned, they are balanced. They could hang on the wall in a museum next to the great paintings or sculptures.

Beautiful, just beautiful.

The thing is, can one get the same thing without those wheels? I am not sure, change the wheels on those cars and they are completely different. Can you do it successfully? I don't know, roll it out side and lets get a look at it.

Brian
Yep, the europeans built some pretty racecars/sportscars in the 20's and 30's. If I won the lottery, I'd have a few (OK, a bunch) in my garage.

Several cars from that period are influencing what I am building, but I am not building a replica of anything that I have seen yet.

I thought about putting a splash apron on the front, but I want the front spring to show...and am not really sure that it would come across as cool on mine since my outer frame rails have so much arch on them. I guess I will just have to see how it all evolves.

And yeah, I will probably end up with tall skinny wheels and tires. I don't really want to spend what I think it will end up costing, but I probably will if the car is worthy of the wheels.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.