Rotella Motor Oil - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2006, 07:06 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Rotella Motor Oil

I understand some of you guys like to use Rotella motor oil. I seen an ad in Advance Auto Parts for $7.77/Gal. I was wondering why Pennzoil was priced at $9.68/Gal if Rotella is supposed to be one of the better motor oils as some of you have stated. I'm looking to use Rotella as I go to break in new engine, but the cheaper price made me wonder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2006, 07:19 AM

Last photo:

It needs to be diesel engine oil. Recently, regular engine oil has been reformulated and now has less anti-wear additives which is real bad for aftermarket flat tappet cams. Diesel engine oil still has the additives and should be used during break-in and from now on.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:50 AM

Last photo:

I run Mobile Delvac in my Cummins, get it at Walmart for $6.80 when it's on sale. Regular price is around $7.50. I always buy what cheapest between Delvac, Rotella and Chevron.

Bobg
Old 06-02-2006, 11:28 AM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:

Just my .02-

I worked for International Harvester back when they were experiencing exhaust valve failures on Gas engines while using a Diesel formulated Oil, which led them to develop a dedicated Gasoline oil (and ultimately buy an Oil Company) to stop the build up of deposits on the Exhaust valve head.

I think I would only use a Diesel Oil on a flat tappet engine (more likely to use a Synthetic)-
Old 06-02-2006, 02:20 PM

i always buy SUPERTECH 15w40 oil from wal-mart,it has the same specs as rotella and delo,plus it's cheaper
Old 06-02-2006, 07:58 PM
That 6 Cylinder Guy

Last photo:

I would only use gasoline formulated oil in a gas engine,leave the deisel oils for the deisels.
Some deisel oils say they are fine for gasoline engines as well,but then some ciggarette packages say they are smooth and refreshing,use what you like.

I would only use walmart oil in a walmart car.
But I wouldn't want to own a walmart car.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:09 PM

Last photo:

I run 15/40 Rottella T in my VW dune buggy. No problems yet, and its been running for 3 1/2 years now.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:20 PM
A Half Crippled Old SOB....

Last wiki edit: GM RPO build codes Last photo:
Location: Cahokia,IL..... Donate Blood Products & Sign your DONORS CARD
Wiki Edits: 5

according to Rotella's web site some of thier oils are formulated to be used in gas powered cars & trucks......joe
Old 06-02-2006, 08:40 PM
Hammer and a torch

Last photo:

Guess I catch it from both ends...? I run Royal Purple 15-40wt which is for diesels but is synthetic also...

BTW the Valvoline racing oils still have what the flat tappet cams need (Linky) ...
Old 06-05-2006, 12:30 PM

Last photo:

Here is a copy and paste from CompCams website.

COMP Cams® Engine Break-In Oil Additive Extends Engine Life
New COMP Cams® break-in lubricant provides missing additives no longer found in current motor oils

Time marches on... and generally that’s a good thing. But unfortunately, over time, some of the good stuff can get left behind. COMP Cams® Engine Break-In Oil Additive brings back the good stuff, delivering a specially engineered blend of extreme pressure break-in additives that have been removed from current off-the-shelf motor oils. Delivering added protection during the break-in process and beyond for all engine components, including the camshaft and lifters, COMP Cams® Engine Break-in Oil Additive is compatible with any petroleum, synthetic or blended motor oil.

COMP Cams® Engine Break-In Oil Additive extends the durability of internal engine components, protecting against premature camshaft, lifter and valve train failure. Best of all, COMP Cams® Engine Break-In Oil Additive has proven to deliver long term benefits with new or rebuilt engines through continued usage. Simply pour in a bottle for initial break-in, run the engine for approximately 1,000 miles, drain the system thoroughly and then refill with clean oil and another bottle of COMP Cams® Engine Break-In Oil Additive at each oil change. For more information about the COMP Cams® Engine Break-In Oil Additive or any other COMP Cams® product, call us at 1-800-999-0853, or visit us online at www.compcams.com.

#225 TECH BULLETIN: Flat Tappet Camshafts
Recent changes in oil and engine technology are likely the cause of premature camshaft failure; here’s what you can do to protect your engine! Premature flat tappet camshaft failure has been an issue of late and not just with one brand or type of camshaft. In almost every case, the hardness or the taper of the cam lobe is suspected, yet most of the time that is not the problem. This growing trend is due to factors that are unrelated to camshaft manufacture or quality. Changes in today`s oil products and “advanced” internal engine design have contributed to a harsher environment for the camshaft and a potential for failure during break-in. But there are several things you can do to turn the tide on this discouraging trend.

Proper Camshaft Set-Up & Break-In
Proper flat tappet camshaft set-up and break-in, as any engine builder knows, are keys to how long a camshaft will last, both short and long term. Making certain that the camshaft and lifters are properly lubricated will guarantee that the camshaft and lifters are protected during the critical initial start-up of your newly-built engine. COMP Cams® offers the right product for this job (Part #154), and it is available in several different size containers for engine builder convenience. To further enhance this “relationship,” we strongly recommend the use of COMP Cams® Camshaft Break-In Oil Additive (Part #159) during the break-in. While this additive was originally developed specifically for break-in protection, subsequent testing has proven the durability benefits of its long term use. This special blend of additives promotes proper break-in and protects against premature cam and lifter failure by replacing some of the beneficial ingredients that the oil companies have been required to remove from off-the-shelf oil. These specialized COMP Cams® lubricants are the best “insurance policy” you can buy and the first step to avoiding durability problems with your new flat tappet camshaft.

Adequate Lubrication
Another major factor in the increase of flat tappet camshaft failure is your favorite brand of engine oil. Simply put, today’s engine oil is just not the same as it used to be, thanks to ever tightening environmental regulations. The EPA has done a great job in reducing emissions and the effects of some of the ingredients found in traditional oils; however these changes to the oil have only made life tougher on your camshaft. The lubricity of the oil and specifically the reduction of important additives such as zinc and manganese, which help break-in and overall camshaft life, have been drastically reduced. In terms of oil selection, we recommend Shell Rotella T oil for the break-in procedure. Most often used in diesel engine applications, this higher lubricity oil works in gasoline engines as well.
Old 06-05-2006, 06:20 PM

Works fine

I don't believe you will have any problems with Rotella, or any other similar diesel oil. They are good enough to run the typical heavy diesel, such as a CAT or Detroit, to over 750,000 miles. All the trucks I drive at work have over 500K on the Detroit Series 60's and run great.

They have much better additive packages than the typical gas oil, and lots of detergents to combat the "sooting" nature of diesel engines. They are an excellent bang for buck for the typical hot street motor.

I also run Rotella in most of my cars, and for the daily beater I run Shell Rimula, an SAE 30 diesel oil again. The real kicker? A massive $5 a gallon. Yes, $5 a gallon. The ride has over 170k and has been running like a champ.

Don't be afraid to try it - hell, if you want to try something radical, run 0W-20 Mobil 1 in your auto trans. It works, too, if you are daring enough to try!!!

Cheers,
Andy
Old 04-17-2007, 04:09 PM

Last photo:

All I Have To Say Is When You Start The Car Up And The Cam Goes Flat Is That Cheaper?
Old 04-17-2007, 07:21 PM

Rotella is sold in 1 gallon (4 qt jugs), the Pennzoil and others are typically sold in 5 qt jugs. That would explain the price difference
Old 04-17-2007, 10:31 PM

Speaking of Wally-World oil..........
Has anyone looked at the new Castrol Diesel oil? It in a strange looking can, and it's cheaper than Rotella.
Does it have a similar formula like the Rotella has(had)?
And does anyone know right off what code to look for....to tell if the oil has zinc, ect.? I know it's some stamp on the back of the jug.....
Old 04-17-2007, 11:00 PM
Some Punk Kid

Last photo:

Brad penn makes a break in oil thats literally called break in oil. Havent tried it yet but I have an engine on the way that will get it.
I have had a successful break in with rotella and a bottle of GM EOS mixed in a few months ago. The EOS bottle says not to use it as an oil additive but it works great. Tons of zinc in that combo.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.